This position is taking applications through January 13, 2023.
We recommend applications be submitted via the Google Chrome browser if possible. If access to Chrome is not available, we encourage applicants to clear their browser cache and use the most updated, non-beta version of their browser.
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Working in collaboration with the Country Director Kenya and the Regional Human Resources Manager Africa and Asia, the Human Resources Manager Kenya will assist in the development and implementation of the strategy, policies, and Human Resource functions in alignment with Water Mission headquarters. This is a full-time position that reports to the Regional Human Resources Director Africa and requires residency in Kitale, Kenya. The position requires travel to areas where Water Mission’s Kenya program operates.
A Successful Human Resources Manager Kenya will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness and model servant leadership to colleagues, partners, the communities we serve, and the public.
- Understand, support, and nurture Water Mission’s vision, mission, and core values.
- Collaborate with headquarters and local senior leadership to understand the organization’s goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, development, retention, and employee relations.
- Administer human resources programs within Kenya, including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; recruitment and selection; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Work with in-country leadership, the Regional Human Resources Director Africa, and Water Mission headquarters to develop the Kenya Human Resources Strategic Plan and the Kenya Staffing Plan.
- Manage all aspects of the employee life cycle, including but not limited to the developing of job descriptions, advertising, shortlisting, participating in interviewing and selection, conducting background searches, facilitating onboarding, induction, retention, and off-boarding.
- Prepare and manage employment contracts and employment offer letters and ensure compliance with local labor laws and Water Mission policies.
- Develop and maintain a talent pool of both internal and external candidates.
- Update the human resources manual regularly and ensure it’s aligned with Water Mission policies and Kenya's regulatory provisions and changes.
- Collaborate with Water Mission headquarters to execute the training and development initiatives of the organization.
- Conduct staff training sessions on human resources policies and/or other areas of training as directed.
- Implement and oversee the Performance Management System.
- Complete benchmark studies with comparator organizations on remuneration, human resources policies and practices, and/or any other employee-related matters.
- Administer employee benefits programs (e.g., medical insurance, life insurance, etc.) and train staff accordingly.
- Manage all aspects of compliance within human resources and implement necessary controls.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and Employment Law; apply this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to local senior leadership and headquarters-based human resources department.
- Prepare reports for management and attend leadership meetings.
- Manage and participate in all human resources audits and respond/close audit queries in a timely manner.
- May manage auxiliary staff.
- Handle all employee discipline and grievance-related matters.
- Manage all employee relations, conduct investigations, and coordinate with Headquarters as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or related field.
- Master's degree in one of the fields above will be of added advantage.
- 6+ years of proven hands-on experience in human resources, of which 3+ years should include NGO experience.
- 3+ years of supervisory and leadership experience.
- Professional maturity with an ability to handle confidential information with integrity and discernment.
- Proficiency with, or the ability to quickly learn, the organization’s HRIS and talent management system.
- Strong understanding of the Employment Act 2006.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict-resolution skills.
- Ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Comprehensive computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office software: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize personal workload and achieve on-time results.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to fifty percent (50%) of the time to areas where Water Mission’s Kenya program operates.