Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The HR Business Partner Manager, India is a varied and challenging role for someone who wants to be the 'go to' person and a pro-active driver for all things HR in India. Your role will be to deliver strong HR generalist service and to ensure the smooth running of HR in India. You will be a key player in the supporting our growing HR needs in the India region. You will also coordinate closely with the relevant services at our parent organisation EDF, i.e. HR, operations and corporate, that are run out of our U.S. and European offices.
- Deliver a high quality, proactive, consistent, customer-focused strategic HR service to directors, country heads, and managers in India Region or any EDF India partners
- Build management and employee capability across India to develop high performing teams
Policy and Compliance
- Maintain and ensure the organisation is compliant with employment law in India.
- Support the creation and development of Indian workforce policies and procedures that maintain the legal compliance of statutory processes.
- Ensuring that all of our India HR processes lead to accurate workforce data that supports the monthly payroll process.
- Develop and update HR policies and procedures and ensure up-to-date best practice.
Employee Engagement and Culture building
- Advise the Chief Advisor, India on HR issues.
- Effectively manage employment relations issues/process from investigation to completion, supporting managers on all issues in India.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
Recruitment and Learning & Development
- Support and advise on recruitment. Draft job descriptions, post advertisements, and conduct interviews for a variety of different roles in the region.
- Ensure that our advertising and recruitment processes comply with Indian employment law, adapting US recruitment methods to the local market where appropriate
- Identify, in collaboration with the U.S Learning and Development team, the L&D needs across India, and develop and deliver team development programmes
Performance Management, Employee Benefits and Payroll
- With the support of the U.S Learning and Development team, support the annual performance evaluation process.
- With the support of the Benefits team in the U.S., manage and advise on rewards strategies.
- With the support of the Compensation team in the U.S, contribute to the development of the pay and reward strategy of India Region to ensure that the workforce is paid within relevant local market INR practice.
- Contribute to the annual Merit Pay Review process, representing local market practice and data to the U.S Compensation team.
- Provide assistance to employees and answer any questions regarding HR policies, procedures, issues, or concerns.
External Stakeholder Management
- Manage the relationship with our 3rd party payroll provider, supervising the payroll monthly reports and deadlines in our calendar year. Keep control of absence, vacations in Workday and internal system control.
- Support the 3rd party PEO/EOR Safeguard relationship, acting as a local point of contact and solutions partner.
- Support EDF Mission in employees cost simulation for India tenders or as per request.
- Ensuring that all of our HR record keeping and data processing procedures comply with India data requirements.
- Reviewing and updating our employment contracts and policies in line with India employment law.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Personnel Management (PGDPM) / MBA in HR, or equivalent professional experience.
- Or, Level 5 Diploma in People Management with Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD UK), or equivalent professional experience.
- 6+ years of relevant HR Business Partner experience.
- Fully bi-lingual fluency in written and spoken English and Hindi is essential, with ability to speak additional Indian dialects desirable.
- Strong knowledge and significant relevant experience managing HR operations, and delivering best practice, in an organization of similar size, culture and resource.
- Robust knowledge of India employment law and practical handling/leading of issues such as disciplinary, grievance, capability, and redundancy.
- Significant HR experience in an operational environment and experience of contributing to HR policy
- Strong experience in all aspects of recruitment and interviews.
- Results-oriented self-starter with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
- Exceptional personal organisation and attention to detail.
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organise diversified workload.
- Advanced computer proficiency.
- Experience working closely with all levels of the business and ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a confidential manner.
- Ability to negotiate and influence.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills, ability to meet tight deadlines with an occasionally demanding workload.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proactive and uses initiative.
- Commitment to equal opportunity employment and to upholding the values of the Environmental Defense Fund.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Personnel Management (PGDPM)or MBA in HR
- Or, Level 5 Diploma in People Management with Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD UK)
- Experience in both charity and the environmental sector would be an advantage.
Must have the right to live and work in the UK when applying.
We offer flexible working and welcome 100% remote, or hybrid working from home and our shared co-working in Delhi / London office.
Regular travel to Delhi, Mumbai, Indore and Bihar. Occasional travel for Staff Retreats and to work with colleagues (when appropriate, in accordance with global health and safety best practices and Covid-19 travel restrictions).
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is shown below which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.