The primary role of the H&S Manager is to advise the business on all health, safety and environment matters to ensure all Ready-mix operations complies with its statutory obligations.
- Advise the A&C leadership team and plant management team on all aspects of Health & Safety.
- Conducts safety meetings, audits, and inspections to ensure compliance. Evaluate performance, identify corrective action, and implement follow up assessments in all A&C plants and locations.
- Work with line managers to develop, implement, and conduct preventative care, safety, and compliance training programs to address HSE needs of the business.
- Plans, implements, manages, and maintains comprehensive environmental safety & health programs on all A&C premises or at project site locations.
- Conduct & carryout internal and compliance audits of all Ready-mix sites and contractors in line with Lafargeholcim standards; report on findings and proffer corrective actions were required.
- Support the company’s occupational health coordinator in assessing the emergency response readiness, awareness and materials at all Ready-mix locations/site. Monitor and track first-aid certification and training is suitable to manage anticipated incidents on the site.
- Conduct/organize relevant health and safety training for employees as required, including emergency response readiness, first aid and fire drills/safety in line with Group standards.
- Support line management and challenge site ways of working - review field and site risk assessments, works and look for concerns or unanticipated risks or non-compliances to rules. Escalate and challenge. The safety coordinator as with any person is empowered to stop any activity on the site.
- Tool Box Talks - Implement a system to have one structured tool box talk on a relevant subject each week and the recording of attendance and subject.
- Collaborates with management to develop an Emergency Action Plan and serve as primary contact for site injury and incident notification, investigation, and case management. Lead accident and Incident investigation when required. Maintains a written log of safety inspection activities, reports, and correspondence.
- Record site statistics and ensure all staff and contractors on the site are captured, in alignment with Lafargeholcim incident and reporting standard. Lead accident and Incident investigation when needed using RCA.
- To recommend & implement control measures and advise on the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the Health & Safety Improvement program (HSIP) in all Ready-mix plants. This should include the monthly facilitation of a health and safety committee.
- Make periodic health assessments of offices, canteens, toilets and facilities and assess compliance with Welfare Facilities Standard, Ergonomics Advisory.
- This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to perform duties outside of this as operationally required
- Degree in Occupational Health& Safety /Engineering
- Nebosh General Certificate
- Member of National Industrial Safety Council of Nigeria or similar Organization
- Minimum of 5 years’ Experience in a safety related company or manufacturing industry
Knowledge & Skills
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer Skills especially Excel, word, powerpoint and email applications
- Ability to prioritize with excellent time management skills
- Good attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong team player
- Tact and tolerant
- Ability to work well under pressure and adhere to set deadlines
- Resilient and Motivated
Leadership and managerial abilities:
- Excellent management skills and ability to organize and plan effectively to meet both short and long range goals and objectives.
- Ability to manage multiple project plans successfully and simultaneously.
- Ability to motivate individuals and teams
- Able to coach and direct a diverse team
Professional Proficiency in English Language
Local / International