Part-Time Grant Accountant
Position and Organization
The Grants Accountant will work remotely with the Director of Finance, Strategic Partnership Manager and other staff members on the management of all grant-related financial activities. The position will provide a continuum of accounting and financial support across the lifecycle of an award, beginning with account set-up and ending with the close of the grant.
Water for Good is a US 501(c)(3) faith-based international development nonprofit with a global staff of approximately 110 people. We provide ongoing clean water services to over 850,000 people annually in one of the poorest countries on earth, with an annual budget of around $6.5 million USD. Please visit www.waterforgood.org to learn more.
- Laser focus: Do fewer things, better. Quality over quantity is king.
- Less red tape: We hire the best people to do their best work, using their best judgment. We do this to eliminate excess bureaucracy. Go create, think, dream, plan and accomplish things on your own terms.
- Plan for longevity: Sustainability is the heart of what we do and who we are. Our employees should not burn out. Our water solutions should last for good.
- People matter: Treat donors how you want to be treated. Treat employees how you want to be treated. Treat end-users how you want to be treated. Treat everyone exactly like you’d want to be treated.
- It’s not about us: We are stewards of others’ hard work and generosity. We show up at work every day humbled by this privilege.
Objectives/Responsibilities of this Role
- The Grant Accountant will oversee all sponsored project accounts and perform the activities necessary for the proper recording, processing, accounting, reconciling and reporting of grant funds.
- Set up new grant accounts and enter grant budgets into the accounting system.
- Train staff on their responsibilities for budget and project management at the onset of a new award and provide assistance with requests and inquiries to funders such as budget allocations.
- Monitor grant expenditures to ensure charges are consistent with organizational policies and in compliance with the terms of each grant.
- Provide regular account reconciliation and completion of required financial reports of grant partners.
- Maintain and organize the institution’s financial grant documents and presentation of those documents for audit.
- Provide additional financial and administrative support as directed by the Director of Finance.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field
- 5+ years proven accounting experience
- 3+ years of experience in grant accounting with public and private funding sources.
- Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP)
- French language would be highly-beneficial
- Experience working with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
Hours/Pay: This position will require 20-25 hours a week at a rate of $25-$30/hour.
- The default assumption is that this is a remote position.
- Water for Good has small hybrid offices in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina, Indianapolis, Indiana and Rochester, New York. Candidates from those areas would have the opportunity to work in-person with a small team.