Mercy Corps is hiring a
GLOBAL TALENT ACQUISITION ADVISOR - AFRICA
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The People and Strategy Team ensures that Mercy Corps has the people, strategies and learning that will enable it to be a world-class, cutting edge, humanitarian organization, creating transformational change in the world. We do this through: the recruitment, retention and development of the best global talent. Our aim is to drive strategic thinking and planning at all levels of the organization; create a robust body of research to guide us internally and externally and steward the organizational culture. To achieve this we align conversations on learning; keep the organization focused on what has the greatest impact; leverage our comparative advantages in the crowded and competitive international relief and development landscape; and assure we are constantly learning from our work and the external environment.
The Global Talent Acquisition Advisor is a high-energy individual who is an exceptional relationship builder, strategic planner, and employs creative approaches to sourcing talent. As part of the Talent team, the Talent Acquisition Advisor is responsible for identifying exceptional talent to advance Mercy Corps’ mission by working with key stakeholders to anticipate and plan for upcoming people needs. The Talent Acquisition Advisor will manage full cycle recruitment including designing and implementing effective strategies, building collaborative internal relationships and effective external networks. S/he will also work with national HR teams to strengthen their capacity to source, attract and select in-country talent. S/he will increase Mercy Corps’ talent pool to ensure the agency’s global talent is representative of the communities we serve and is able to respond to the changing needs of the organization.
● Partner with field leaders and other HQ teams to anticipate future talent needs and proactively take action in advance of needs.
● Advance the agency’s aim to have a global team that is representative of the places where we work. ● Keep up to date on trends in international talent acquisition, particularly in the international humanitarian aid sector.
● Identify areas of opportunity to strengthen Talent and broader People function and proactively offers recommendations.
● Track and identify innovative trends and best practices in global recruitment practices.
● Take ownership for building and maintaining productive partnerships with field leadership and HQ team on future and current talent needs.
● Deepen and widen the talent pools that Mercy Corps work in close coordination with efforts to develop internal and external talent pools.
● Provide responsive, high-quality service to candidates with additional care for internal or former team members.
● Expand the capacity of hiring teams to identify talent via improved interview skills & ability to specify critical needs.
● Execute full lifecycle talent acquisition activities for roles as regions as assigned, multiple disciplines and levels within the relief and development field.
● Pivot focus as needed to support rapid growth or proposal bid recruitment including in country short term assignment.
● Support recruitment for senior national roles as appropriate with strategy development or actual recruitment.
● Support the development tools that support national recruitment processes aligned with global MC practices and consistent with local labor context.
COLLABORATION & NETWORKING
● Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with talent sources in the region(s) assigned including technical networks, thought leaders, academic institutions.
● Assist in promoting Mercy Corps as an employer of choice by attending events, promoting through social media, job boards and developing talent communities.
● Build effective partnerships with internal stakeholders to support current needs and develop plans for future needs.
● Collaborate with all members of the People team to develop best practices, promote continuous improvement and foster information/idea sharing.
Reports Directly To: Global Talent Acquisition Manager
Works Directly With: Talent Acquisition team, People and Strategy Team, Regional Program Directors, Country Directors, and in-country Recruitment Teams, Regional Program Team, Senior Leadership Team, Finance, National HR teams
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
● French language fluency required
The successful individual will develop and maintain productive professional relationships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders within the organization and throughout the international relief and development community. S/he will possess the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, while remaining focused on the quality of internal and external relationships and will be able to work effectively as a member of a highly visible team whose performance is key to the enduring success of Mercy Corps. S/he will be flexible, resilient, possess sound judgment and have a good sense of humor.
This position is based at any of the Mercy Corps Offices in Africa. Travel up to 20% is required to support recruitment needs or attend regional conferences in areas where Mercy Corp operates
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.