About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a GIS Specialist for our Denver, CO, Sheridan, WY, or Bismarck, ND office. SWCA's GIS Department consists of 70+ GIS Professional with diverse backgrounds in GIS design, cartography, data management, and more. This position will support both our Natural and Cultural Resource programs with an emphasis on the Cultural Resource program. This position will support in the Rocky Mountain Plains region and will collaborate with and support other SWCA offices across the country.
This is a regular, full time, hourly position with the potential of hybrid or remote work. Qualified candidates who also live in Minnesota will be seriously considered.
What you will accomplish
- Support GIS workload to ensure that productivity goals are met and that projects are delivered on time and on budget
- Contribute to a collaborative work environment including project managers and other GIS specialists
- Maintain quality of work consistent with SWCA's standards and practices
- Use Esri ArcGIS Pro for data management, production/editing, spatial analytics; and for efficient production of high-quality field maps and report figures
- Follow data management Best Practices and provide technical support for a variety of mobile data collection systems including tablets, GPS receivers, ESRI’s FieldMaps and and Survey123 applications.
- Use workflows integrating traditional desktop GIS and ESRI’s Web GIS platforms, including ArcGIS Online, and Portal.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a GIS certificate
- A minimum of one year of professional GIS work beyond university attendance – people with nearly a year of experience are still welcome to apply
- Demonstrated knowledge of cartography and computer mapping, including design principles and understanding map creation procedures in ArcGIS
- Strong understanding of topological relationships, proficiency working with complex data sets, and ability to apply creative solutions to spatial problems
- Demonstrated ability for data transfer, data analysis, data mining, and data inventory using a variety of software applications (e.g., Excel, Access, Esri ArcGIS)
- General understanding of basic statistics, and geometric math computations (e.g., summary, distributions, frequency, min/max, range, angles, distance, slope, degrees, area)
- Demonstrated experience with GPS technology, field data collection techniques, data integration to a GIS, and troubleshooting equipment and digital files
- Demonstrated ability to perform spatial analyses while maintaining data integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Cartography, Archaeology, Biology, Environmental Science or related field with an emphasis in GIS
- Experience with cultural resource projects
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional GIS work beyond university attendance
- Environmental services consulting experience
- Demonstrated experience with automation of common processes using tools such as ArcGIS model builder, python scripting, java script, or other programming/scripting languages
- Ability to produce presentations, and/or written protocol of methods for reports or within metadata to replicate GIS-related analyses or modeling techniques applied on projects
- Prior knowledge and experience with multiuser geodatabases, database schemas, domains, ArcServer/web applications, network analysis, and/or application development
- Knowledge of Python, .NET, Java, PHP, and/or HTML
- Prior work in natural or cultural resources management, remote sensing, and/or water resources, and prior experience working with federal land agencies such as the US Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, US Geological Survey, or other Federal agency
- Ability to take direction, listen keenly to instructions, and work well with a team
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
SWCA offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes participation in our ESOP program. Take a glance at some of our benefits by going to https://www.swca.com/careers/totalrewards/benefits
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Denver, CO - based position can expect a salary of: for Assistant Staff GIS Specialist - $22.58/hour to $28.88/hour; for Staff GIS Specialist – $24.68/hour to $32.03/hour. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.