Holcim Trading is the trading arm of Holcim Group, the world leader in the building materials industry. Holcim Trading is specialized to meet the needs of customers and suppliers around the world through a unique product and service portfolio provided from offices in Zurich, Singapore and Miami.
We are looking for a General Counsel for Holcim Trading, working full time from our offices in Zurich.
Corporate and Commercial:
- Corporate management (minutes of the board of directors, shareholders' meeting, changes of signatories) of the Swiss subsidiaries of Holcim Trading and supervision of corporate matters regarding overseas subsidiaries of Holcim Trading with external service providers
- Advise on, draft and negotiate all sorts of commercial and shipping agreements such as sale and purchase agreements, supply and consignment agreements, logistics agreements, warehousing agreements, trucking agreements, stevedoring agreements, charter parties, contract of affreightment, brokerage agreements and finance agreements
- Support other Holcim Trading functions (HR, IT, Digital, Sustainability) on relevant legal topics
- Constantly improve and update the standard, template purchase and sales agreements and general terms and conditions as well as their implementation in the Holcim Trading customer relationship management system
- Drive the further simplification of the Holcim Trading legal structure
Claims and Litigations:
- Handling of maritime claims by/against vessel owners and against cargo suppliers or receivers
- Coordination with P&I Club regarding claims handling (FD&D policy)
- Handling of commercial claims by/against suppliers and customers
- Management litigation and arbitration cases with external lawyers
Compliance and Ethics:
- Independently manage and take responsibility for all compliance and sanctions risks at Holcim Trading
- Implement and continuously improve the Holcim compliance program, processes and policies at Holcim Trading, in particular in relation to sanctions compliance, ABC compliance, fair competition compliance and data privacy
- Provide trainings and ensure compliance with the Holcim Group Code of Business Conduct and Holcim compliance policies, in particular in relation to sanctions, ABC, fair competition and data privacy
- Contribute as a member to the Holcim Group Sanctions Board
- Law degree from a reputable law school / university and admitted to a bar of relevance in Switzerland, the UK or the EU
- Ideally supplemented by a post-graduate degree from a reputable law school / university (in continental European law if main degree is in common law and vice versa)
- Ideally supplemented by formal training or degree in business management and finance
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in trading house or P&I club, multinational corporate environment or international law firm
- Majority of experience in areas of immediate relevance to the role, i.e. trading environment, including the handling of commercial contracts and maritime/shipping contracts (including multi-modal transportation) as well as litigations and arbitrations.
- Proven track record of working successfully in or with a wide range of jurisdictions of relevance to the Holcim Group and broad working knowledge of various relevant legal systems and challenges.
- Proven track record of working successfully in an international and decentralized environment and in cross functional and cross-cultural teams.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills that allow to effectively lead the team and facilitate, influence and communicate with other stakeholders and external parties
- General agility, sound judgment and a highly developed legal and commercial sense with a pragmatic and solutions oriented approach
- Self-motivated, structured work approach, conceptual thinking, and strategic reasoning, while being hands-on and not afraid of making decisions
- Team player with highest levels of ethics and integrity
Fluent and articulate English speaker with advanced English drafting and writing skills particularly involving complex legal, commercial and operational concepts. Other languages (German, French or Spanish) are advantageous.
Local / International