Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a trailblazing legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the 1.8 billion people who are left out of, or poorly served by, the financial sector. For more than 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 200 partners in 63 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
About Accion Impact Management:
Accion Impact Management (AIM) is a new initiative of Accion that houses Accion´s new sponsored investment vehicles (“Funds”) focused on microfinance, fintech and financial inclusion more broadly. AIM is 100% subsidiary of Accion. AIM will work closely with Accion’s digital advisory services group, Global Advisory Solutions, and Accion’s regional teams to provide strategic and operational support to our portfolio companies, with the goal of developing commercially sustainable businesses that realize social and financial returns.
Accion has also been a pioneer investing in fintech for inclusion through Accion’s seed-stage investment initiative, Accion Venture Lab (AVL), through balance sheet investments and a side-car co-investment vehicle. AVL provides capital and extensive support to innovative fintech startups that improve the reach, quality, and affordability of financial services for the underserved and have the potential to scale. Backed by commercial and impact investors since the launch of its third-party fund in 2019, AVL has invested in more than 55 early-stage startups that operate in 30 countries worldwide.
Accion Digital Transformation Fund (ADTx) has been formed to invest in scaled microfinance or other financial institutions focused on lending to micro, small and medium enterprise (MSMEs) and other underserved and unbanked populations within emerging markets. The goal of the fund is to provide growth capital and strategic support to portfolio companies to undergo digital transformations, so that they may increase social impact by reaching larger underserved populations, operating more efficiently, and using innovative technology to offer needs-driven products to their clients. The fund’s investment strategy combines equity and quasi-equity instruments with active engagement as a shareholder and through board representation to create value. The fund works closely with LPs to develop co-investment opportunities.
Accion is currently recruiting an Operations Manager to be an integral member of the Accion Impact Management team, providing operational support to keep the high-performing team running effectively. The role will provide exposure to all aspects of the investment team’s work, including portfolio monitoring, fund operations, environmental, social and impact (ESG), compliance, risk management, impact reporting and audit support– all with a focus on microfinance and innovation in financial inclusion & fintech companies. The position is full-time in a dynamic, hard-working team, with opportunity for growth for high achievers.
Portfolio Management and Investment Support
- In close coordination with investment staff and the Fund Administrators, oversee the production of Funds´ reports, periodic portfolio updates, and responses to information requests by investors;
- Support the investments team with Environmental Social and Governance (ESG) due diligence and on the Funds´ ESG implementation and ESG compliance;
- Work on research and data collection for ESG and social impact reporting;
- Assist in the development of presentations and fundraising documents;
- Lead the planning, development and implementation of investor and advisory council meetings.
Fund Compliance and Risk Management
- Ensure Funds’ obligations to all relevant stakeholder Fund commitments including but not limited to investors, portfolio companies, and relevant authorities, are met through close coordination with Partners, Finance, Accion’s Legal, Compliance and Risk Department, Fund Administrators, and AIM’s Compliance Officer;
- Serve as Funds´ liaison for relevant partners;
- Working with AIM’s CCO and other AIM staff, develop and implement Funds´ procedures, including reporting, risk registers, and investment templates;
- Coordinate with Accion’s Legal, Compliance and Risk Department on the Risk Management Framework and Risk Register of AIM and of its underlying investment vehicles.
Audit and Others
- Support Finance team in the annual audit process and coordinate audit materials with other team members;
- Responsible for designing and overseeing investment management systems, policies and procedures, including document management and warehousing process, the use and update of investment process templates, tracking consistency with investment policy and historic practices;
- Oversee corporate administration support on Funds´ management, including file management and bookkeeping, as well as maintaining the Investment Manager’s operating documents;
- Manage relationships with vendors (i.e., CRM and Portfolio Monitoring); negotiate and maintain updated vendor contracts.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Business, Economics, Finance or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience;
- Experience at an investment management firm and/or an investment fund, and fund operations is required;
- Strong project management skills: demonstrated ability develop and execute operational plans successfully with high degree of independence and detail-orientation;
- Experience with Risk Management is a plus;
- Understanding of ESG is a significant plus;
- Excellent English communication skills; proficiency in Spanish and/or French is a plus;
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (especially on power point);
- Knowledge of financial analysis, financial inclusion, and/or impact investing industry is a plus;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to prioritize workload, track assignments and provide organizational support to colleagues;
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to follow through;
- Solutions oriented approach with ability to multi-task and troubleshoot;
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration, and demonstrated ability to build relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work independently while working with a global team;
- Passionate about our mission and willing to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.