Position: Field Coordinator
Location: Zambia (Muchinga and Southern Province)
Engagement: 5 months with possibility of extension
Preferred start date: As soon as possible
At Pula, we are radically restructuring agricultural insurance, using technology to insure the previously unbanked, uninsured, untapped market of 1.5 billion smallholders worldwide.
We work in over 14 countries across Africa and Asia, and by 2022, we have facilitated crop insurance cover to over 6.6 million farmers across Kenya, India, Rwanda, Uganda, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Zambia, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Tanzania, and Malawi. Since raising our Series A, our operations have expanded globally including now Asia and Latin America.
We are a for profit, and have raised over $10 million from leading venture and institutional investors as well as developed philanthropic relationships with private foundations and bilateral donors such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and German Insure Resilience Solutions Fund that have accelerated investments in our target markets.
Pula is fast-paced, constantly adapting to new opportunities and challenges. We are a high-performance, multi-cultural team. We expect our team to value performance, results and professionalism.
At Pula, we are:
Obsessed with results: We are responsible for our future and therefore we get things done!
Connect the Dots: We continuously identify different customer needs & business problems and build solutions that deliver value.
Have a Can do Attitude! We dare to do things differently to make things work.
We have each others’ back: We look out for each other & we share high quality, timely feedback that makes us better.
Every year, Pula runs a series of operational activities including farmer sensitization campaigns, training of clients and crop cut experiments (a survey designed to measure the yield of different crops).
What you will be doing:
Under the direct supervision of the Field Associate Manager, the Field Coordinator shall provide full support to the field team with all necessary project activities to ensure maximum efficiency on the ground. The ideal candidate learns quickly, is resourceful and has experience managing teams and running a field project.
The Field Coordinator shall provide the services detailed below. Pula expects the Field Coordinator to conduct following tasks including and beyond:
- Conducting Enumerator/Agent Training
- Help set project budgets, record keeping for expenses and reconciliation against the budget for each project
- Farmer sensitization -
- set work plan with FAM and conduct farmer trainings
- Organize and conduct Training-of-trainer sessions with local counterparts and/or client staff
- Submit reports within 5 working days on training outcomes, including photos and participant feedback
- Manage training budget and provide proof of activities and expenditures
- Collect participant data which is accurate and complete
- Evaluate end of season performance of field agents
- Field management support for crop cut exercise.
- Field Agent audits: 4x per week visit and audit report.
- Review submitted data on Mavuno web app 2x per week to check received reports performance and verify correct data is submitted (no missing data, incorrect photos, misreported yields).
- Lead weekly data review and work planning meetings with enumerators
- Weekly performance review against work plans and review data collected by Enumerators for quality; audit and retrain enumerators with flagged data or missed work plans.
- Investigate any anomalies in inconsistencies in enumerator data.
- Handling and resolving customer complaints from farmers and stakeholders as needed
- Report to supervisor (Field [associate] Manager) weekly on progress, wins and blockers
- Coordination with client field staff and insurance auditors to facilitate visits
- Report all incidents (localized risk ex. Fire, flooding, pests; client or farmer coordination issues; etc) using the appropriate form with supporting information in 5 working days or less.
- Conduct refresher training when needed on topics identified as unclear to enumerators and for enumerators who are struggling
- Support Pula mobile app installation and troubleshooting.
- Resolve any queries from the data or payout team on data points within 48 hours.
- Evaluate end of season performance of enumerators
- Clear and consistent communication up and down the reporting lines.
- Be available during working hours to respond to queries by whatsapp
- Assist organization and attend local payout events on request
- Assisting in product launches when required
- Help with internal data audits when required
- Any other duties as requested by management
QUALIFICATIONS & KEY COMPETENCES
- A diploma in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Business/project management or related field.
- Experience with (2 years) and proven skills in working with clients, project teams, farmers, field teams and agro dealers.
- Experience in data collection and data management.
- Skills to interact with clients, farmers, field teams and agro dealers.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multicultural environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Intermediate Excel skills is an added advantage
Some more expectations:
- Our team is deeply field based. We hire from the areas that we are working, rather than focusing on hiring only from capital cities or major metropolitan areas.
- The individuals best suited for these positions are those who are comfortable speaking in relevant local languages and moving around rural areas.
- Everyone needs to be able to work “on the go”: staff are expected to call into conference calls multiple times a week, and to submit communications on email and other mediums throughout the week. While it is difficult to keep a phone and other devices charged while working in rural areas, the best employees plan their movements well enough to ensure being in contact at the right times.
To learn more about Pula:
- TED Talk: Crop Insurance, an Idea Worth Seeding
- New York Times: He Grew up on a Farm. Now, He Helps Protect Them
- The Economist: The Poor, Who Most Need Insurance, Are Least Likely to Have It
PULA is an equal opportunities employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Jobseekers are strongly advised to not indulge in any monetary engagement with any source in the name of guaranteed interviews or placements with employees.