Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Heifer USA believes small-scale farmers can achieve sustainable rural livelihoods. We provide training and support in environmentally responsible farming, connect farmers to profitable and reliable markets, and educate the public. Communities are welcomed to experience this work and inspired to partner in our cause.
The Facilities and Mechanic Technician is responsible for general upkeep, and preventative maintenance. In addition, the Facilities and Mechanic Technician must maintain the operations of all the team’s equipment and vehicles including farm equipment.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Commitment to performance; Excellence in all we do; Always brings solutions; Action-oriented; Passion for mission; Challenge the status quo; Self-starter and proactive tendencies; Tenacity; Creativity; A “whatever-it-takes-to-get-the-job-done” mentality; Thrives in a culturally diverse environment; Strong commitment to excellent customer service; Detailed; Systematic; Organized; Collaborative; Trustworthiness; Communicator; Flexibility.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
A. Perform Mechanical Repairs and Preventative Maintenance on General Farm Equipment (45%)
- Operate, diagnose, coordinate, and perform general to specialized repairs to farm vehicles (Trucks, UTV’s, Tractors, Trailers, Mowers, Tires, etc.)
- Perform preventive maintenance in a timely fashion to farm vehicles and equipment.
- Perform necessary farm-related welding repairs utilizing cutting torches, oxy-acetylene, and arc-welding.
- Maintain organized and safe environment of maintenance shop ensuring OSHA standards are followed.
- Work within budget constraints, maintaining proper documentation and receipts.
B. Support Facilities Manager and Ranch Staff with General Upkeep and Preventative Maintenance, General Facilities Repair, and in-house Construction Projects (45%)
- Review and prioritize work orders and complete in a timely fashion.
- Preventative facilities maintenance to include, but not limited to exterior building maintenance, interior maintenance such as filters, smoke-detectors, and general repairs.
- Assist with in-house construction projects.
- Provide support to special projects (waterline replacement/repair, fencing, livestock facilities, etc.)
- Ensure proper materials, parts and tools are available for project completion.
- Maintain and operate lawn mowers, weed eaters, trimmers, blowers, etc. to present an attractive and safe environment.
- Monitor Recycling, Maintenance and Storage areas maintaining a clean organized and visitor friendly appearance.
- Lead Volunteer staff on projects as needed.
- Assist staff with Service-Learning Education projects as needed
- May perform other job-related duties as assigned
C. Provide General Support to the Facilities Manager (5%)
- Support Facilities Manager, Ranch Manager with educational training projects, and event organization as needed.
- May Manager and Ranch perform other job-related duties as assigned
D. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- High School diploma/GED plus three (3) years’ experience in construction and/or general building repair maintenance experience (new build, remodeling).
- Three (3) years Specialized Automotive repair experience. (Maintenance of oil changes, fluids, belts, tires, general parts replacement, etc.)
- Associate of Applied Science in Automotive Service Technology or Automotive Repair Technical Certificate from an Accredited Post-secondary Institution, plus five (5) years’ experience in Specialized Automotive/Farm Equipment Repair.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of mechanics, farm machinery, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, heating/air conditioning, and ability to repair and maintain buildings and equipment.
- Knowledge of problem-solving techniques.
- Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act compliance.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software packages and internet/e-mail.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written fashion.
- Knowledge of safety and security control.
- Commitment to work and support for the Mission of Heifer International.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to lift over 50 lbs., and climb on and/or under ladders, buildings, and equipment.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to complete projects while maintaining day-to-day operations.
- Ability to work within a flexible schedule, and be accessible or provide coverage for weekend and evening mechanic emergencies
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
The expected base salary range for this position is $43k to $45k USD annually. Placement within the range will be based on the competency level of the candidate:
Minimum: Entry level, meets minimum qualifications. Needs guidance and training to perform key responsibilities of the job
Midpoint: Experienced and fully competent. Can independently perform all responsibilities of the job
Maximum: Highly experienced and can perform at a higher level than expected
**Disclaimer: Salary ranges are based on country location and local country salary scales.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Heifer International offers a variety of benefits for U.S.-based employees working 30 or more hours per week.
- Health and wellness benefits including Flexible Spending Account and/or Health Saving Account
- Employee assistance program
- 403(b) retirement plan (match 1% employee to 2% employer up to a maximum of 4% match + 3% employer discretionary contribution regardless of employee contribution)
- 22 vacation days in addition to 12 statutory and discretionary holidays, and 10 sick days per year
- Employer-paid life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Professional development and annual merit increase opportunities
- Optional critical illness insurance, legal assistance plan and pet protection
- And more!