Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Executive Assistant, Healthy Communities
The Executive Assistant provides executive-level support to the Senior Vice President and Associate Vice President of the Healthy Communities Impact Area in the Washington, DC Office. The Executive Assistant will maintain the calendar and travel for the SVP and AVP. She/he/they will also provide broad administrative support for the team including meetings management, expense reporting and project coordination as needed.
- Maintain busy calendar and arrange extensive travel for the SVP’s and AVP’s schedule effectively relative to short-term needs, long-term plan, and yearly goals
- Act as coordinator and manage SVP’s day and workflow and maximize efficient use of SVP’s time
- Prepare SVP for meetings including support with agenda setting, collecting and sharing supporting documentation, and researching background information
- Keep informed about major initiatives; learn and stay abreast of current priorities as they relate to the SVP’s goals and strategy
- Prepare written communications and correspondence on behalf of the SVP, including research as required
- Screen emails. Take action on scheduling questions, redirect messages and field questions as appropriate
- Organize meetings with internal staff as well as outside individuals and organizations
- Facilitate expense reports, invoices, contracts, and other documents requiring SVP’s approval
- Professionally handle confidential information including administration and personnel information
- Act as liaison with other internal departments/programs and outside individuals and organizations and help to maintain strong key relationships
- Assist other Healthy Communities team colleagues with expense reporting, meetings and special projects
- Provide general administrative support to the team
- Support the onboarding of new hires to the Healthy Communities Team
- Provide input on executive administration best practices and partner with finance and operations staff to enhance processes and practices as needed
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- At least 4 years’ experience supporting a senior-level manager with demonstrable knowledge of impactful schedule management
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented with a commitment to excellence
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and impeccable technical skills
- High comfort level with numbers and the ability to interpret budgets
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Research-savvy; Internet and resource proficient
- Good interpersonal skills, as this job requires frequent interaction with diverse individuals including board trustees and external partners
- Ability to create strong relationships, both inside and outside the organization, and represent the program in the most effective and gracious manner
- Poised, confident, self-directed and assertive with high energy, resourcefulness, adaptability and creativity
- Intuitive, with a proactive focus on supporting the goals of the SVP and EGCC team staff
- Formidable coordination ability in true partnership with SVP
- Ability and maturity to manage up as well as down
- Excellent judgment and discretion
- Ability to focus, multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines in a rapidly moving environment
- Enjoys a team-oriented, fast-paced and entrepreneurial culture
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of environmental issues and/or policy is a plus
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.