Play an active part in creating a sustainable future by joining Climate Fund Managers' Africa team based in Cape Town, South Africa.
Climate Fund Managers (CFM) is a leading blended finance fund manager dedicated to securing a sustainable future by investing across global emerging markets. CFM has a long-term vision to structure cutting edge financing facilities around thematic areas of climate change mitigation and adaptation, including renewable energy, water, sanitation, and oceans. CFM is established as a joint venture between the Dutch development bank FMO and Sanlam InfraWorks – part of the Sanlam Group of South Africa.
We provide financing solutions across the entire project lifecycle (development, construction, and operational stages). With our offices in The Netherlands, South Africa, Singapore, and Latin America we believe in a world where sustainable investing and profitability are not mutually exclusive.
The ESG Manager will support the Africa regional and wider ESG teams with all required tasks relating to the investment of managed funds across the regional portfolio. The role will report to the Regional ESG Manager Africa. The role will be full-time and will be based in CFM’s regional office in Cape Town, South Africa, with periodic travel to project sites.
- E&S due diligence of deals in accordance with CFM processes.
- Preparation of inputs to investment papers, attendance at investment committee meetings, and other tasks as required to support the investment process.
- Project development phase tasks relating to IFC-compliant environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs) and other specialist studies (such as preparation of RfPs; evaluation of proposals; selection and appointment of consultants; coordination of consultant activities; technical review of reports).
- Attendance at meetings, liaison with project partners, provision of project-related advice and guidance for E&S management.
- Project governance and management (including preparation of or contribution to documents as required, participation in project management meetings, management committee meetings)
- Support with the development and implementation of investment-specific Community Development Programmes.
E&S Governance and Strategy
- Support with the development, revision, and update of key governance documents such as the Responsible Investment Policy, the ESMS and the Community Development Framework and supporting procedures and processes.
- Contribute to the development of tools and templates for use by the ESG team.
Impact Analysis and Reporting
- Support with all required ESG performance and impact reporting commitments including the quarterly and annual investor reports.
- Conduct research and prepare papers and presentations for internal and external use on current, cross-cutting or emerging themes in the field of ESG that are related to the CFM business, and the managed funds.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree (or equivalent) in an ESG-relevant discipline
- 8+ years’ experience in ESG management (consulting, industry or project finance)
- Expertise in renewables, water, wastewater and/or waste infrastructure
- Excellent knowledge of environmental and social issues as they relate to CFM’s business
- Technically proficient (advanced) in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Proficiency in written and oral English language. French would be an advantage.
- Capable of maintaining a high degree of effectiveness in a multitask role, managing priorities and delivering to challenging timescales
- Both a self-starter and a team player
- Ability to build and improve effective internal working relationships at all levels in order to secure best solutions
- Demonstrated ability to lead change by embracing new and different approaches
- Ability to inspire confidence and commitment
- Strong motivational skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
To apply, please send us your updated resume together with a motivation letter.