Consultancy Scope of Work
Position: Entomology Technical Advisor
Location: TBD, travel to Angola
Expected travel: 2-3 times a year, 1-2 week travel, Luanda and provinces in Angola
Expected Duration: Not more than 180 days/1 year
The PSI Angola team is seeking a part-time Entomology Technical Advisor to be a point-of-contact for the technical team in country. The consultancy will consist in weekly remote technical support of the in-country teams via conference calls and emails and of 2-4 short-term technical assistance (STTA) visits a year to Angola during implementation of key field activities
The Entomology Technical Advisor will
- Coordinate and lead local capacity building activities in field enomological activites and molecular laboratory.
- Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of insecticide susceptibility testing of gambiae s.l., An. funestus s.l. and An. stephensi in selected provinces.
- Strengthen a system for community-based entomological surveillance in selected provinces.
- Work to strengthen in-country capacity to establish and maintain national insectaries for rearing a susceptible colony and field collected malaria vectors.
- Work with in-country stakeholders to assist in establishing a sustainable procurement system for lab reagents and necessary ento equipment.
- Ensure quality of data collected and provide quality assurance checks during data recording and entry.
- As needed, assist NMCP and other MOH institutions in developing and revising ento and lab manuals, SOPs, workplans, and other necessary documents
- Lead workplans and project reports development and strengthen PSI team capacity in workplans and reports writing.
- Provide on the job and remote training to Angola based entomological and laboratory staff
- Master’s degree or equivalent in entomology; PhD in entomology (preferred);
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in entomology;
- Several years’ of experience conducting mosquito insecticide susceptibility testing;
- Experience working in Angola on entomological monitoring activities, knowledge of processes/procedures and systems involved; experience collaborating/liaising with the NMCP and other key stakeholders to accomplish activity goals;
- Demonstrated management skills and strong organization and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and effectively manage multiple priorities that are subject to change in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Strong written and oral communications skills and enhanced interpersonal relationship skills;
- Fluent in Portuguese or Spanish preferred, fluent in English.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.