WeweKopila Valley School (KVS)
"A world where every child is safe, educated, loved"
KVS is a nonprofit school managed by the Kopila Valley Sewa Samaj, an NGO registered in Surkhet, Nepal, and funded by BlinkNow Foundation USA to provide world-class education to the neediest children who deserve the best education. Our mission is to change the world by empowering Nepal’s children. We provide our students a free education, educational materials, health treatment and medicine, counseling, and a place to live. With our innovative future program, we strive to provide our children with career guidance, and scholarships for further studies.
The BlinkNow Foundation is a 501(c)(3) based in New Jersey which, through its country office in Nepal, oversees these programs in rural Nepal. Every day we strive to create a sustainable organization working to educate all of Kopila’s children until they are ready to enter the world as happy, skilled, confident, self-sufficient adults. We believe we can serve as a model for quality education in Nepal. We will strive to provide our children with scholarships (should they choose to pursue higher education), the skills required to enter the world as global citizens, and ambassadors for change.
Position Summary:- English Teacher cum Empowerment Coordinator
The English Teacher cum Empowerment officer will teach English subjects to Lower Secondary-level students, guide them to take initiative, and actively participate in school life inside and outside the classroom. Also being the Female empowerment and girls club program lead, this position will also ensure that the girl’s groups meet regularly to talk on different topics like women’s equality, women’s health, empowerment, etc. Our male students and all genders should have access to this programming to work towards our value of gender equality. This position will also closely work with the School Enrichment Officer, and KVSS program leads. As an empowerment and enrichment support team member, you can also support and enrich our plus two programming by providing extra support, mentorship, and entrepreneurial skills to our plus 2 students.
Work Location: Birendranagar -1, Surkhet
Application Deadline: We recruit on a rolling basis
The Main Responsibilities
- Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, experiment, and investigate
- Lead student empowerment activities in the school and provide entrepreneurial support to plus 2.
Detailed Areas of Responsibilities:
1. Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental, social, and emotional development; and enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully.
- Encourage sharing of ideas and develop tasks to encourage creativity as a part of the lesson plans, and inspire every child to aspire for higher self-learning and think beyond boundaries and circumstances.
- Support the students’ growth in all aspects of the whole education. Teach basic academic skills, personal hygiene, values and social skills, and citizenship.
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate, and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
- Identify children showing signs of emotional, developmental, or health-related problems, and discuss them with supervisors, parents or guardians, and child development specialists or with the relevant program leads of KVSS.
2. Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, experiment, and investigate.
- Design activities as per the needs of different levels of students. Instruct the students individually and in groups, adapting to different teaching methods to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to children. Use computers, audiovisual aids, and other equipment and materials to supplement presentations, when needed.
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guests, and other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Monitor and supervise students in a variety of educational environments (classroom, field trips, playground etc) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Encourage and coordinate student involvement in events/competitions in and outside the school. Conduct remedial classes as per students' needs to improve their academic performance.
3. Lead student empowerment activities in the school and provide entrepreneurial support to plus 2 students.
- Initiate girls to organize talk sessions on girl’s health, hygiene, and empowerment; and facilitate meetings inside or outside the organization
- Closely work with the programs team and the student enrichment officer for any extracurricular activities that help in empowering girls.
- Lead Gender equality programming, girls club, She’s The First initiatives, 5k race for equality and dignified menstruation.
- Supporting girls' mentorship.
- Providing support and guidance to the Kopila Caffe under our business and entrepreneurship program for plus 2.
4. Additional Responsibilities.
- Report any incidents for the purpose of maintaining the personal safety of students, providing a positive learning environment, and adhering to KVS and KVSS policies
- Attend staff meetings, house meetings, departmental meetings, and any special community events taking place as required or professional development and training sessions besides regular classes.
- Confer with guardians, teachers, counselors, and administrators to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems
- Be a part of student clubs according to your subject of interest, guide and teach them one hour a week for knowledge and skills besides the classroom teaching for which a special timetable will be made.
- Keep records of students' absences, anecdotes, marks obtained, credits and demerits, and commendations letters.
- Build positive working relationships and environment in the organization by bringing solutions to the discussion table.
- Report to the manager weekly, and provide monthly program updates and important reports as needed in case of urgent issues.
- Ensure and enforce confidentiality in collected information/data as per school codes.
- Be a part of the students’ clubs according to your subject of interest, guide and teach them one hour a week for knowledge and skills.
- Assess and give feedback on the student’s strengths and weaknesses; indicate how you would strengthen those areas and the student's role to improve those areas.
- Attend assemblies and programs; supervise meals and contribute to making a safe school.
- Guide all students at all times, as needed, as you would do to your own children.
- Select, store, order, issue, and keep a class inventory of classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Keep records of students’ absences, anecdotes, marks obtained, and commendation letters.
The above list of responsibilities is not comprehensive, and the English Teacher cum Empowerment Coordinator may be required to take on additional responsibilities, as determined by his/her Supervisor.
- Education and Experience: Bachelor/Masters Degree in any discipline
- Experience: At least 2 years of proven experience teaching learning material development and classroom management
- Language: A good communicator, and fluent in English and Nepali
- Skills and Abilities: Self-motivated, organized, and good at using computer tools; good instruction skills to explain new ideas and unfamiliar concepts with varied methods catering to all and in a clear and concise way; and can speak clearly to students, teachers, guardians, and the KVS & KVSS team
- You believe that we can change the world, in the blink of an eye
- You believe in making decisions that put children first
- You are self-motivated, organized, and approachable
- You enjoy creating systems, keeping records, and increasing efficiency
- You are always looking for new ways for our team to work smarter instead of harder
- You are detail-oriented and conscientious. You make sure nothing slips through the cracks
- You have a strong work ethic and a willingness to pick up new skills. You are comfortable multi-tasking
- You are positive, patient, and a clear communicator who is comfortable working with both Kopila Valley staff in Nepal and the BlinkNow staff in the United States
- You are an empathetic person, with a knack for putting out fires before they start and soothing conflicts brewing beneath the surface
- You require little supervision and are flexible. You understand that you will be wearing many hats in this role, many of which are not explicitly included in this job description
If you think this opportunity will amplify your career growth, we encourage you to apply by clicking “Apply For This Job” and submit all required documents.
Note: No telephone inquiries will be entertained. If your application is a good fit, we will follow up with you directly for the screening process.