Are you someone with strong leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a thoughtful leader, a trusted advisor and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Environmental Sciences technical group is looking for an Ecologist to join our existing talent base in Atlantic Canada. The position is for one of our New Brunswick (Fredericton or Saint John) offices. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
This position is largely focused on clients and projects in the Maritime Provinces, but will also include the potential to work on projects across Canada. As a biologist at Dillon, you will be responsible for developing and fostering healthy client relationships, managing and supporting projects, scoping and executing field programs, technical report writing, and working with a dynamic team of environmental scientists, engineers and technologists.
Technical Development & Project Management
- Lead the scoping, development, and execution of environmental investigations, environmental management programs and plans including research, field work, and technical report writing.
- Support the development of environmental impact assessments, compensation/offsetting plans, and related environmental permitting assignments at the provincial and federal levels
- Scope, plan, develop, and implement field programs for a variety of natural resource, municipal, land development, and infrastructure projects
- Manage the design and delivery of biological studies and programs
- Demonstrate leadership and coordination of staff across operating units
- Contribute to proposals (budget development and proposal writing)
- Liaise with public and private sector clients, government review and approval agencies, sub-consultants and community representatives including Indigenous communities as well as the general public and stakeholders on specific development proposals
- Coordinate project team activities, provide direction to project team members, and contribute to development of staff
- Build client relationships through identifying market opportunities, client communications, preparation of proposals, and business development activities
- Identify and pursue business opportunities within the marketplace, where Dillon might succeed in securing work assignments
- Present at, and participate in, conferences, technical workshops, webinars, and professional associations to raise the Dillon profile in the business community and among peers
- Collaboration with staff across Canada for the purposes of project delivery, client relationship development, and opportunity/project research
Learning & Development
- Continued development of self, including both technical skills and business acumen
- Contribution to the career development of less tenured staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching, and mentoring
- Contribution to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- An undergraduate degree in biology, ecology or a related environmental sciences field.
- 5+ years of demonstrated professional experience in environmental consulting, industrial, regulatory, or academic setting or related field with the specific emphasis on environmental assessment and permitting for development proposals
- Valid driver’s license (Class 5)
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
- Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of French would be considered an asset
- Strong understanding and experience conducting terrestrial, wildlife, vegetation, and avian surveys. Specific experience in the Atlantic region is an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant provincial and federal environmental legislation, regulations, policies, guidelines, and regulatory permitting and approval requirements
- Experience with the Provincial Environmental Assessment Process for Developments within New Brunswick under the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulation.
- Experience in the preparation of regulatory applications and submissions.
- Experience in planning and executing field programs as part of environmental studies.
- Experience in executing wildlife field programs considered an asset.
- Understanding of the application of Best Management Practices to environmental compliance and effectiveness monitoring programs.
- Demonstrated success in project management and client relationship skills
- Excellent oral and written communication, critical thinking, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to project quality and capability of meeting project deadlines
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words that result in actions build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Wellness Subsidy
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 900 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 17 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon**:**
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!