Are you someone with strong leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a thought leader, a trusted advisor and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Environmental Sciences technical group is looking for Ecologist to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
This position location is open to our GTHA office locations (Toronto, Kitchener, Guelph, Oakville, or Hamilton). Remote or flexible work arrangements will also be considered.
We work with all levels of government, including Indigenous communities, industry and resource developers in the areas of environmental assessment, planning, and management. The successful candidate(s) will support our team with key tasks including: environmental permitting, approvals and compliance; leadership in environmental regulatory affairs interactions; contributing to environmental reports, plans, and monitoring programs. Dillon offers a flexible, collaborative work environment with career growth and advancement opportunities. The ideal candidate(s) is/are a passionate and motivated individual with relevant experience leading land development and/or environmental assessment (EA) projects, and a team-player attitude.
What your day will look like
- Manage and coordinate programs, projects and technical studies for the natural environment component of a variety of projects
- Lead permitting and approvals acquisition activities at the local, provincial and federal level related to natural heritage (e.g., Endangered Species Act, Species at Risk Act, Conservation Authorities Act, Fisheries Act, Canadian Environmental Assessment Act)
- Scope, plan, develop, and implement field programs
- Provide oversight to project team members including natural scientists, technologists and technical support staff
- Coordination of multi-disciplinary projects
- Support stakeholder and regulator engagement
- Business travel upon request
- Prepare and support the preparation of project proposals and contribute to client relationships and business development activities
- Liaise with public and private sector clients, government review and approval agencies, sub-consultants and community representatives
- Undertake travel, as required
Learning & Development
- A commitment to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Input to the career development of junior staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- An undergraduate degree in biology, ecology or a related environmental sciences
- Proven professional work experience in environmental consulting, including project management
- Valid Drivers’ License
- 5+ years of related Environmental Sciences professional experience
- Proven expertise and knowledge of local, provincial and federal environmental legislation, including associated regulations, policies, and guidelines
- Experience leading and/or managing land development and/or EA projects, including multi-disciplinary work
- Experience in preparation of Environmental Impact Studies and supporting applications under the Planning Act as well as Environmental Reports for EA
- Experience in the preparation of other regulatory applications and submissions resulting in the successful acquisition of permits and approvals
- Demonstrated success in project management, client relationship, and business development skills
- Experience interacting directly with a variety of clients and team members to execute project delivery
- Experience engaging and/or working with stakeholders and communities, including Indigenous communities
- Proficiency in project proposal preparation and presentations
- Strong oral and written communication, critical thinking, organizational and interpersonal skills
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Wellness Subsidy
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 900 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 15 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!