Are you someone with strong technical capabilities and a passion for transit and sustainable mobility? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Do you enjoy thinking strategically and solving problems? Do you want to learn and grow in a supportive team of like-minded professionals who are passionate about improving sustainable mobility in communities from large urban centres to small rural areas? If this sounds appealing, this exciting transit opportunity is for you!
We are currently seeking candidates for the position of an Early Career Transit Planner to join the Transit Group of our Integrated Mobility Team. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience. Dillon provides flexible work arrangements, with the ability to work in one of our offices or from home.
The Integrated Mobility Team undertakes transit and transportation planning and engineering work, providing advice to government and private sector clients across the country. Within this team, the Transit Group focuses on delivering transit planning solutions of all kinds, including transit planning and operations studies, fleet electrification plans, and on demand system planning and implementation.
What your day will look like
Work on projects that advance our client’s mobility goals:
- Contribute to a variety of transit planning and operations studies, and strategic multi-modal transportation planning projects, such as policy development, demand forecasting, master plans, corridor studies, fleet electrification plans, rapid transit and transit priority, accessibility, rural equity, and station / hub studies
- Support of Dillon’s leading technical staff/project managers in the delivery of projects for a variety of public and private sector clients
- Write proposals and support other marketing and administrative efforts
- Attend meetings and liaise with various private and public sector clients and sub-consultants
- Travel as required to support project needs
Learning & Development
Advance your Career and Contribute to our Values:
- Contribute to Dillon’s culture and corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
Young professionals with less than three years consulting experience have an opportunity to join Dillon Early Career Development (ECD). Our ECD program is a unique component of our overall Talent Pipeline, designed to accelerate the development of our early career professionals as consultants. Program participants are offered enhanced opportunities for learning and development while building a sense of community through both formal and informal learning.
Dillon’s commitment to the growth and development of our people is a driving force of our success. With over a third of our staff participating in this program, our young professionals are provided with a unique opportunity to practice self-development and build for Dillon’s future.
What you will need to succeed
- A degree in urban planning, civil engineering or equivalent; a Master’s Degree would be an asset
- Up to two (2) years of professional experience
- Proficient in use of the Microsoft Office suite
- An ability to analyze and communicate transit data, policies, and operational practices
- Demonstrated abilities in multidisciplinary project teamwork and coordination
- Well-developed report writing, organization and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated abilities in use of GIS software (ArcView GIS) is an asset
- A strong interest in sustainable mobility and keeping up with new trends in the industry
We work on a broad number of studies for a diverse set of clients across Canada. Candidates should have a passion for transit and sustainable mobility, some knowledge of and/or experience with transit systems, and an eagerness to learn. The qualified candidate should be able to demonstrate a strong interest and knowledge in some, or all, of the following:
- Strategic transit planning and operations studies
- On Demand transit studies and implementation plans
- Transit terminal, station or Mobility hub studies
- Integrated mobility / transportation policy development
- Accessibility studies addressing the needs of persons with disabilities
- Transit ridership forecasting and financial plans
- Rapid transit corridor business case studies, environmental assessments and/or functional design
- Transit planning and feasibility studies in rural environments and Indigenous communities, with a focus on equity
- Transportation master plans, area transportation plans and/or secondary plans for medium and large communities/developments
- Transit ITS and fleet electrification planning
- Public and agency consultation activities, including Public Open Houses/Information Centres and development of other engagement activities
Strengths/ Personal Attributes
- Passionate about issues facing transit and urban transportation
- Ability to work independently and as part of team
- Ability to think through and visualize long-range implications of data analysis & policy decisions
- Strong communication skills – able to clearly and concisely write for, and speak to, a variety of stakeholder audiences
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
- Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
- A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
- Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
- Learning and Development opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, learning opportunities.
- Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Wellness Subsidy
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!