The National Audubon Society is hiring an
The National Audubon Society is a nonprofit conservation organization that protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow. We work throughout the Americas using science, advocacy, education, and on-the-ground conservation. Audubon’s state, regional, national, and international programs, nature centers, and chapters have an unparalleled wingspan that reaches millions of people each year to inform, inspire, and unite diverse communities in conservation action. As a sentinel species, we recognize that the fate of birds is inextricably tied to the fate of us all.
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
Audubon’s EagleWatch program is one of the largest community science programs in the state monitoring over 1,000 Bald Eagle nests in Florida by 600+ volunteers. This seasonal part time position is designed to provide support and assistance to the EagleWatch Program Manager. They will be expected to maintain good communications within other departments of the Center, Audubon staff and volunteers in addition to the general public to actively help promote the Center’s programs and mission of caring for Florida’s raptors.
This is a part –time seasonal position (6 months) starting October - March to provide support during eagle nesting season at Audubon Center for Birds of Prey.
• Assist new volunteers through all aspects of the onboarding process for
Audubon’s EagleWatch program.
• Respond to email and phone inquiries from volunteers, the general public and
outside stakeholders regarding applicable laws, the identification of nest threats,
monitoring techniques and the verification of previously un-recorded active eagle nests.
• Validate and edit volunteer and nest data submitted to the EagleWatch GIS database
and compile monthly and yearly reports.
• Maintenance of GIS map and database including nest assignments and verification.
• Assist in gathering information and program statistics for grant reports associated with
eagle education and EagleWatch programs.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree or similar experience in related field (biology, natural sciences, education)
• Knowledge of Bald Eagles including behavior, diet, habitat, etc.
• General knowledge of conservation, preservation and natural areas in Florida.
• Individual must be flexible and willing to prioritize projects as directed from supervisor.
• Individual must have good written and verbal skills, organizational skills, be a team
player and have the ability to work with limited resources.
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel.
• Experience creating maps and analyzing data using ArcGIS.
• Current Florida Driver’s License and reliable transportation required.
• Criminal History background check will be required.
• Respect of wildlife and Florida environment. Commitment to Audubon’s mission
The National Audubon Society is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
The National Audubon Society endeavors to keep our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Accommodations@audubon.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated prior to their start of employment unless they are pre-qualified by HR for exemption.