Join our MEDA Team
At MEDA, we find meaning and fulfillment in investing in people’s lives. We work collaboratively to close the opportunity gap for low- to moderate-income Latino families in San Francisco’s Mission District by providing them access to affordable housing, career and small-business development, education and more. As MEDA continues to strengthen this community, we need more talented professionals dedicated to inspiring positive change – and driven to succeed in a fast-paced team environment. Be one of us!
The Opportunity- Director of Risk Management & Compliance
As a member of MEDA’ Senior Management Team, and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Risk Management & Compliance is responsible for overseeing various risk management and compliance functions and ensuring that appropriate procedures, protocols, and strategies are implemented to minimize risk and protect the organization. This individual will be responsible for building and developing a new department at MEDA. While this department will initially be staffed by the Director, we anticipate it growing over time to include 1-3 additional positions as budget allows. In the interim, this position will be supported by consultants to provide expertise and specific functions, such as contracts review.
Compliance Systems & Oversight
- Oversees a corporate compliance program, develops and maintains a written corporate compliance plan and annual evaluation of the plan’s effectiveness; ensures that all required elements of a compliance program are addressed.
- Administers and manages MEDA’s v-Comply software system, ensuring departments are actively using the system to track and report on organization wide compliance items
- Develops and maintains policies, procedures, and cross-organizational systems related to the corporate compliance program
- Leads internal audit function that reviews programmatic and subcontractor compliance items and ensures adherence to various regulations and standards
- Develops and coordinates staff trainings on corporate compliance that are provided both at orientation and on an ongoing basis
- Develops and maintains up-to-date knowledge of corporate compliance requirements and related laws and regulations as mandated or recommended by MEDA’s various federal, state and City of San Francisco funders and regulatory bodies. Attends outside corporate compliance trainings provided by other agencies as directed by the COO.
- Serves as a resource for the COO, CFO, and Program Directors for all external and internal compliance audits; ensures that corrective action plans are documented in a timely manner and effectively implemented.
- In consultation with the CEO and COO, submits mandatory notification of known or suspected corporate compliance violations to the appropriate regulatory agencies, MEDA Board of Directors.
- In collaboration with legal counsel, ensures that all MEDA contracts are reviewed and include appropriate stipulations required by funders and in the best interest of protecting the parties involved.
Risk Management Systems & Oversight
- Oversees a corporate wide risk management program, develops and maintains a written corporate risk management plan and annual evaluation of the plans’ effectiveness.
- Develops and maintains policies and procedures related to the corporate risk management program.
- Prepares risk analysis on various MEDA related projects for the MEDA Board of Directors and management team as requested
- With Human Resources & Operations Director reviews and ensures that MEDA has adequate insurance coverage in place for its various functions and lines of business and based on its contractual requirements, and that these insurance renewals are completed annually.
Staff Supervision & Cross Team Collaboration
- Works with consultants to provide expert advice and services on specific items, such as legal support, contracts review, SOPs development or other items.
- As budget allows and the department grows over time, supervises additional team members which may include Compliance Officer and General Counsel.
- Coordinates closely with Directors and staff from other teams, including programs, evaluation, fundraising and finance; partners with dedicated compliance roles in these departments to ensure a coordinated approach to compliance.
- Serves as a member of MEDA’s Senior Management Team, contributing to organization wide strategic planning, annual planning, staff development and team building; attends weekly Management Team meetings and quarterly retreats
- Participates in and prepares reports and memorandums for MEDA’s Board of Directors at its bi-monthly meetings, ensuring the Board of Directors is up to date on any risk management or compliance issues
- Participates in and prepares reports and memorandums for MEDA’s Board committees where needed
Skills, Abilities & Experience
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree; and 4-5 years of experience working in community development, legal, human/social services, financial services, housing or a related field.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience building and developing compliance and risk management systems, and working across teams.
- Strong knowledge of government regulations for the non profit industry at the City, State, and/or Federal level
- Excellent technical and computer skills, knowledge of applicable software programs, and experience administering databases.
- Bilingual Spanish-English is a plus, with lived experience with Latino, immigrant communities, and/or communities of color
Your MEDA Experience
Do meaningful work in an innovative workplace, while being challenged for your professional growth.
Joining MEDA means having meaningful experiences that develop achievers – from across the Mission neighborhood and from within our organization. We find meaning and fulfillment in our work as we see this community thrive and are driven to achieve better outcomes by challenging ourselves to innovate in our ways of working.
We offer a market-leading benefits program that reflects MEDA's values and mission. We invest in people's lives and support our own people's health and financial well-being.
Our core benefits include:
- Comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and their dependents – 100 percent covered by MEDA
- 401(k) Plan for employees with generous employer match
- Generous paid time off -- minimum of 20 days for new employees
- Employee Assistance Program that offer free financial or legal counseling to employees or their families
- Other forms of voluntary benefits