Who we are:
Situated at the forefront of the national stage in the racial justice movement, Advancement Project is a cutting-edge, no-holds-barred national organization dedicated to building local power in communities of color. Centered on a movement lawyering approach, defined as community-centered racial justice lawyering, Advancement Project supports power building in grassroots organizations working to eliminate oppressive structures in our laws and institutions and shift narratives towards transformative change. From ending the school-to-prison pipeline to the fight to expand the right to vote, from calling for a complete overhaul of how we view the police and carceral state, to fighting for immigrant justice, Advancement Project impacts real change from the ground up. Building on more than 20 years, we continue to evolve our strategic thinking and creativity to imagine a more just world in which people of color can thrive, be safe, and free. – and we are excited to bring on new talent to forward our vision.
The Advancement Project’s track record of success includes:
- Pioneering the school-to-prison pipeline movement, winning significant victories in several school districts across the country to reform disciplinary policies and practices and remove police from schools entirely, including building and nurturing a grassroots movement of parents and youth. This work led to federal guidance on racial discrimination in school discipline.
- Launching the National Police Free Schools Campaign with the Alliance for Education Justice, supporting local youth-led campaigns to end policing in their schools and calling for national demands for change for safety in public schools.
- Serving as legal counsel in the 2000 presidential election case in Florida, successfully challenged North Carolina’s voter suppression law, and was the founding member of the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition that won the ballot initiative to strike down the state’s ban on voting for those with felony convictions. Supported legislative efforts to pass the Virginia Voting Rights Act, the first voting rights anti-discrimination law in the South.
- Supporting Close the Workhouse Campaign in St. Louis, led by Action St, Louis, secured the city’s agreement to close a jail and reinvest money into the community.
- Working with survivors of Hurricane Katrina from New Orleans to ensure their voices were being heard in the reconstruction process.
- Partnering with Ben& Jerry's to launch a new flavor of ice cream, Justice Remix’d, the first time the company put an organization’s name on its containers.
We are seeking a passionate digital media strategist to develop and execute digital strategies including writing and posting content for social media platforms and monitoring digital media trends, narratives, and engagements. This role will sit in the Communications team and will collaborate with communication staff on broader press, design, and narrative change strategies.
Advancement Project is a unionized organization. This position reports to the Managing Director of Communications and will be part of our bargaining unit with compensation determined by the bargaining unit’s compensation structure.
What you’ll do:
Develops and executes the organization’s digital strategy.
- Develop media objectives and strategy based on proposed online campaigns.
- Performs media monitoring and active media listening to determine the best approaches for the organization to convey messages.
- Proactively suggest new media campaigns aligned with the digital strategy and establish digital best practices.
- Compile and collect online social media research and analytics for use in the proposed digital strategy.
Creates and authors organization’s online presence.
- Lead content creator, writing and posting content to social media sites, including graphics and other materials.
- Responsible for developing a web presence, managing, branding, and routinely updating content on the organization’s website.
- Capture photographic and video coverage for live social media posts.
- Conduct live social media such as Tweeting and broadcasting to other social media partners.
- Responsible for advertisement campaigns, reviewing analytics, and ensuring search engine optimization.
Collaborate and assist with the implementation of department initiatives and operations.
- Develop and implement new digital media technology for media projects in close coordination with the supervisor.
- Ensure online communications are aligned with other mediums of communication for marketing and public relations initiatives.
- Performs training and supports the development of partners.
- Supports the organization’s communications efforts related to rapid response.
- Occasionally leads special projects like content initiatives or events.
- Contribute to the overall success of the Communications team.
- Maintain working knowledge of internal policies and procedures.
Other related duties, as assigned.
What you need to be considered:
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in a similar position and/or performing similar tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Ability to occasionally travel locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Ability to periodically work evenings and occasionally work weekends, as needed.
Please submit a writing sample with your cover letter
This position pays between $70,400 and $84,500 depending on experience.