TITLE: Digital Fundraising Manager
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week
EMPLOYMENT/JOB TYPE: Regular Full-time
LOCALITY: New York, NY, preferred, remote possible
About Rainforest Foundation US
For over 30 years, Rainforest Foundation US (RFUS) has worked to address climate change and safeguard biodiversity by promoting the rights of indigenous peoples and supporting their efforts to protect and defend their rainforests. Science shows that forests managed by indigenous peoples are healthier, suffer less deforestation, capture more carbon, and contain more biodiversity than forests managed by private or public entities--including nationally protected areas. What’s more, scientists tell us that protecting forests is as important as reducing greenhouse emissions if we hope to stem the tide of ecological collapse.
RFUS works in partnership with indigenous communities and their representative organizations to protect tropical rainforests by supporting their efforts to secure rights to their lands, strengthen monitoring and land security, influence laws and policies that protect their resources, and build strong and sustainable community leadership. By investing directly in indigenous communities, RFUS connects the people rooted in the land with the tools, training, and resources to be effective advocates and protectors of the forests they call home. RFUS currently operates four country programs in Brazil, Guyana, Panama and Peru, and hosts a number of regional partnerships in Central America, the Amazon Basin, and across the tropical belt.
About this position
We are seeking a creative and talented Digital Fundraising Manager to take our online fundraising to the next level. We are seeking a collaborative and creative thinker who can execute integrated fundraising programs across multiple digital channels including e-mail, social media, video, paid search, display, websites, and more. The ideal candidate will be excited to apply their experience and skills to RFUS’ mission. The position will report to the Director of Development, sit within the Development Team, and collaborate with the Communications Team. The new hire has the option of working remotely or out of the Brooklyn office.
- Plan, develop, write, and execute digital fundraising and direct mail campaigns designed to inspire people to donate to RFUS
- Lead efforts, in collaboration with communications, development, and program staff to manage and expand multi-channel digital list growth and conversion strategies to increase small-donor fundraising
- Drive campaign strategy, creation, and execution of digital fundraising campaigns, across all channels, to achieve acquisition, lead nurture, retention, and department revenue goal
- Determine the best strategic timing for digital fundraising content and coordinate with Comms team on editorial calendar updates
- Track digital metrics and rigorously analyze data to learn what subscribers and donors respond positively to and quickly pivot to apply insights and learnings
- Partner with Comms team to manage for digital advocacy and fundraising
- Keep abreast of new trends in online advocacy, fundraising, and organizing in order to provide creative ideas to the development and communications teams
- Identify new opportunities and channels for digital fundraising and advocacy
- Create short videos and work in partnership with Comms team
- Collaborate with the Comms team to grow our email list as a foundational driver to increasing fundraising revenue
- Identify, develop, and drive the optimization of high-performing fundraising campaigns, including in rapid-response moments
- Consistently administer fundraising best practices and implement and manage robust testing strategies, including driving A/B and multivariate testing, to optimize campaigns
- Work with Development Director to establish revenue and key performance indicators and test all messages to propose clear benchmarks and goals to optimize giving
- Coordinate with Development and Comms team to strategically align consistent messaging across channels with optimal fundraising, engagement, growth, and impact
- Any other duties as assigned by Development Director
- Five to seven years’ experience in digital fundraising within a non-profit
- Demonstrated track record of effective fundraising, using a list-based email program and digital fundraising best practices
- Proven ability to write clearly, concisely, quickly, and accurately, incorporating key messages and calls to action, using appropriate language and tone for the target audience, and adopting the “voice” of the organization
- Experience developing content for an email program, including rapid-response campaigns
- Strong knowledge and use of design software and experience creating digital graphics
- Solid understanding of fundraising optimization, testing, and metrics
- Solid understanding and experience in conversion rate optimization
- Excellent attention to detail
- Expertise in digital communications and social media platforms with a commitment to continued learning
- Experience maximizing email deliverability and retention in an ever-changing digital ecosystem
- Deep understanding of content management software, website development, and digital analytics, including Google Analytics.
- Desire to follow the news, politics, policy developments, and issues related to RFUS’ vision and program work in order to align our messaging with any rapid response opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, communications, or related discipline
- Strong experience with social media
- Comfortable with a high-level of technical language and ability to work with multiple business and technical vendors or consultants
- Experience with email campaign technology and CRMs (we currently use Virtuous)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills: Ability to present, explain, convince, coach, and troubleshoot with other team members across departments
- An entrepreneurial spirit that uses creativity to uncover novel pathways
- A professional demeanor, strong integrity, and self-motivated drive to consistently perform at a high level
- Proactive and self-organizing person
- Passion for protecting the environment and the rights of indigenous peoples
- Willingness to work in December, including between Christmas & New Year, during end- of-year fundraising campaigns to ensure we are meeting fundraising goals (comp time will be offered, and it is not required that you work on Christmas or New Year’s Day)
- Full professional proficiency in English is required, fluency in Spanish desired.
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation: Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and ranges between $75,000 - 85,000 USD annually.
- Benefits: Full-time employees (40+ hours a week) are entitled to full health, vision, and dental insurance and 20 days per year of vacation leave, closed offices from Christmas to New Year’s Day (inclusive) plus the 10 additional federal holidays. Beyond this, employees are entitled to 10 days per year of sick leave, 2 days per year of personal days, 5 days for bereavement leave per event, up to 12 weeks of parental leave, and accommodations for additional time off under extraordinary circumstances. For this role, nights or weekends will not be expected except possibly during work-related travel, in which case compensatory time will be accrued.
Workplace Culture & Conditions
Rainforest Foundation US prides itself on providing a flexible, equitable, family-friendly, and inclusive work environment that values work-life balance. Our offices are pet friendly and located in a historic downtown Brooklyn neighborhood that is easily accessible by public transit and boasts many restaurants and services. This position can be remote or in the Brooklyn office, if preferred.
Commitment to Equality & Equity
Rainforest Foundation US does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. Black, indigenous, and people of color are highly encouraged to apply.
- RFUS aims to fill the position by April 15.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early and advised to carefully study the job description to ensure they meet the requirements and skills we are looking for.
- Applications will not be considered without the submission of a resume and in lieu of a cover letter, please respond to the following question: What is your interest in this role and why are you a great fit? Please be concise and respond in no more than three (3) paragraphs.
- Please note that the position will be listed as open until filled. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
- The candidate must possess the legal requirements to work in the United States; Rainforest Foundation US will not sponsor visas for international candidates.