At Youth Guidance, we believe that no matter what challenges a young person faces, they are more likely to succeed when they have caring adults in their lives. Our highly-trained staff guides kids to overcome the life and academic challenges facing youth. We meet kids where they are — physically and emotionally — to help them focus on their education, make positive choices, and remain on the right path toward life success.
Founded in 1924, and still relevant today, Youth Guidance is a leading provider of outcomes-driven programs and capacity-building initiatives, directly serving more than 13,000 youth in Kansas City, Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Washington DC, and Chicago.
Position Summary: The Development and External Affairs Manager is responsible for collaborating to achieve Boston’s annual fundraising and communications goals. This position will also drive continued growth in Youth Guidance’s corporate and foundation funding and partnerships.
Development & Grant writing
- Undertake a strategic approach to aligning Youth Guidance Boston’s key programs and initiatives to funding opportunities.
- Work with the local leadership team in building relationships externally and in the development of proposals to submit to identified funding partners.
- Manage submission of regular grant reports to current and future grant partners.
- Work collaboratively with agency program, evaluation, and finance staff in the development and submission of proposals, reports and grant budgets.
- Utilize Raisers’ Edge for constituent relationship management and tracking of activities and deadlines related to awarded grants.
- Cultivate new private sector champions by supporting site visits and other engagement opportunities with external stakeholders.
- Provide support to the Director of Development in meeting and proposal preparation and follow-through.
- In partnership with the Director of Development, design and send monthly newsletters to donors, Boston school leadership, and other important external stakeholders.
- In partnership with the Director of Development, manage the Youth Guidance Boston social media presence across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Ensure the site utilizes local stories and images to create high-quality, brand consistent digital and print collateral materials, with support from the Director of Development and National Marketing team.
- Ensure recognition of corporate and foundation partners through features in Youth Guidance’s website, newsletters, social media, annual report, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent relevant experience
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience and demonstrated track record in corporate, foundation, government, or community relations or grant writing
- Experience in non-profit fundraising, writing, and research, preferred
Our Development and External Affairs Manager exemplifies:
- Communication: Able to use effective written and oral communication with internal and external audiences and stakeholders; demonstrates empathy and listening
- Client orientation: Can recognize the needs of diverse stakeholders and approaches relationships with a service orientation to ultimately maximize the impact
- Planner: A problem solver who is able to manage uncertainty and adapt to changes while still performing at high levels of excellence.
- Equity mindset: Understands and is committed to goals of equity; consistently brings an equity mindset to the organization’s work and workplace
- Growth mindset: Views growth as important for personal and professional development; seeks out opportunities to expand skills, even if change is required; Demonstrated ability to be solutions-focused, self-reflective, and dedicated the continuous improvement of service quality
- Ownership and quality of work: Effectively manages own work and the work of internal and external stakeholders ensuring delivery of high-quality work.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
What Youth Guidance offers:
We offer a robust package for eligible candidates including:
- Hiring Range of $65,000-$85,000
- A hiring bonus of $1000 ($750 Sign on Bonus plus $250 Retention bonus after 90 days of continuous service.
- A competitive benefit package. Even though healthcare costs have gone up, we have not passed along those increases to our staff.
- If you are pursuing your social services licensure, we can help you by providing licensure test study support. Licensing test reimbursement. Assistance in attaining licensure supervision hours.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to frequently talk and hear
- The employee frequently is required to sit and stand for sustained periods of time; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to spend extended time on a computer in a workstation.
- The duties performed are primarily in an office setting and working with the public, COVID-19 vaccination is required.
At Youth Guidance, we understand that diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) are fundamental to realizing our vision of bright and successful futures for all young people. We celebrate the diversity of youth and recognize them as empowered leaders, problem-solvers, and experts of their own experiences. At the same time, we acknowledge that many systems and institutions meant to support youth are inequitable and unjust.
As such, we are committed to advancing DE&I through our words and our actions, both internally and externally, by:
- Strengthening cultural competence as well as policies, practices, and organizational structures that foster belonging and leverage the unique backgrounds and talents of staff.
- Offering youth-centered programs that are accessible and responsive to people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, sexual identity, gender identity, expression, language, and cultural and religious beliefs and practices.
- Influencing systems that youth, their families, and communities are impacted by, such as schools, organizational networks, governmental bodies, researchers, and the funding community, to apply approaches that embrace DEI in addressing the needs and supporting the aspirations of young people.
Youth Guidance is an equal-opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Youth Guidance does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law and is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity along all of these lines. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.