EFF is seeking a Designer to work with its activists, technologists, and policy experts to design new websites and graphic assets for high-profile campaigns and technical tools. This position requires graphic production, including illustration for EFF projects and products. EFF Designers practice human-centered design, assisting with the creation of user stories and conducting informal user testing.
Graphic design and production (40%)
- Meet with EFF team members to understand their requirements and requests.
- Communicate with our Design Manager on project assignment, deliverables and deadlines.
- Collaborate with our Creative Director and sketch and brainstorm concepts for banners, websites and other graphics projects.
- Contribute to EFF’s graphic design and print production needs. Establish relationships with print shops and vendors, assist with ordering materials, print runs for EFF events, and press checks.
- Create illustrations for EFF projects, products, and events.
- Create banners, logos, email headers, event materials, editorial materials and other types of graphics required by the organization.
- Provide and receive feedback to and from the design team and other stakeholders.
Research and concept development (40%)
- Help conduct user research and testing, brainstorm personas and user flows.
- Help refine requirements and communicate them to web developers.
- Create assets, wireframes and prototypes for web applications and websites.
- Review existing sites for opportunities to improve user engagement, accessibility, compatibility with multiple devices and browsers, and internationalization.
- Participate in UI/UX training and/or professional development opportunities determined in collaboration with the Design Manager.
- Participate in communities and groups relevant to our design work and development.
Staff education and team building (20%)
- Keep an eye on the accessibility and internationalization needs of our design products.
- Help educate and train EFF staff on relevant aspects of the E&D team work.
- Participate in team meetings and activities.
Qualities We’re Seeking (Core Competencies)
- Must demonstrate care and respect toward coworkers, outside partners, members of the public, donors, and others with whom this role interacts;
- Must work to positively and collaboratively resolve conflicts and overcome challenges;
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills;
- Must be able to understand and articulate with accuracy EFF’s mission, positions, and work (for program team members or those who represent EFF at public events);
- Must be available and responsive to colleagues, outside partners and others over email, phone, and online chat, with the ability to respond and reliably to time-sensitive requests for assistance and opportunities during agreed upon working hours;
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences including race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance;
- Empathetic, with ability to understand other team member’s points of view;
- Able to give and receive feedback with professionalism and care;
- Interested in detailed and high quality work outputs;
- Having a keen eye for creative ideas and using the right tone in graphics, from humor and playfulness to gravity and seriousness.
Required Education and Experience
- Graphic design education or training.
- Two or more years of professional design experience.
- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and other software tools relevant to web design.
- Written and in-person communications skills.
- Basic understanding of web application development. The Designer does not need to know how to program, but should have some familiarity with CSS and HTML that will help them communicate with web developers.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in gathering and refining requirements from requesters.
- Experience with issues around accessibility and universal design.
Classification: Exempt, Union, Full-time, (40 hours/week)
Compensation: $92,000 - $102,000 (Based on the location in the Bay Area)
Expected hours of work: Typically Monday - Friday. Occasional after-hour duties to support event organization and other organizational activities.
Reports to: Design Manager
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Travel: EFF hosts two one-week all-staff gatherings at our San Francisco offices each year in the spring and fall, and all staff are expected to attend. There will also be opportunities to attend relevant professional conferences remotely or in person.
Location: This position is based at EFF’s offices in San Francisco with the ability to work from home several days per week as determined in collaboration with the Design Manager.
Commitment to Diversity
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.