IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, work in more than 100 countries worldwide with offices in 13 countries, and a global staff of 600.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded media support program in Armenia which will seek to address an evolving set of changes in Armenia’s media and information landscape. This project will aim to enhance journalistic standards and content quality, catalyze competitiveness and financial viability of public interest media, and foster and enabling environment for independent information flow. The DCoP will support efforts that promote the use of new business models for media and content producers that strengthen their financial viability. Based in Yerevan, the DCoP will focus on working with media outlets, managers, and content producers to strengthen their business models and adopt new innovative practices that enable viability, and where possible, sustainability and/or profitability.
Only citizens of Armenia or permanent residents with work authorization will be considered.
This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Support the COP in providing strategic and technical leadership to the project and serve as the Acting COP in the COP’s absence.
- Serve as a liaison with various media stakeholders and develop a wide network of content providers
- Work with media outlets, managers, and content producers to strengthen their business models and adopt new innovative practices that enable viability, and where possible, sustainability and/or profitability.
- Maintain strong networks with media outlets, managers, and content producers
- Oversee and monitor quality of program activities, ensuring they are completed on-time and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Represent the project publicly
- Perform other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Armenian citizenship or residency with work authorization
- At least eight (8) years of progressive international experience working in media sector strengthening and reform, journalism, civic engagement, or related fields in Armenia
- Familiarity with the key Armenian government stakeholders, relevant private sector actors and civil society organizations working on media issues, and an understanding of the dynamics and relationships among them
- Demonstrated understanding of the Armenian media landscape
- Significant expertise and understanding of the contemporary issues surrounding the current journalistic standards and content quality, viability of media and the online influencer economy, challenges to fact-based journalism, and current knowledge on methods to foster an enabling environment for independent information flow
- Proven track record of achieving results in media viability preferred
- Experience in supporting donor supported development programs of similar size and complexity highly preferred
- Similar experience with other USAID-funded programs is an asset; knowledge of USAID regulations and procedures preferred
- Excellent leadership, management and interpersonal skills including conflict resolution abilities
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; master’s degree preferred
- English language fluency is required, including the ability to provide written reporting in English
- Click on “Apply” above to submit your CV along with a cover letter that summarizes your experience and includes your salary range requirements.