Location: Amman, Jordan
Reports to: Chief of Party
Please Note: This position is contingent upon award and USAID approval with an anticipated start date of May/June 2023.
Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community. We work with government, non-government, private sector, and community stakeholders to promote transparency, foster accountability, and access the channels they need to make their voices heard, promote change, and realize their full potential.
Global Communities is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Technical Director, Positive Youth Development for the anticipated USAID Jordan Youth Grow Activity. This five-year $10-25M program will empower Jordanian Youth by 1) Increasing youth access to high-quality career planning information and livelihood opportunities, 2) Strengthening youth leadership through targeted support of local youth-led and youth-serving organizations to promote youth participation as decision-makers and critical contributors to individual, household, community, and national well-being and 3) Strengthening Government of Jordan (GOJ) systems, in partnership with Youth, to provide more coordinated and effective services, practices, and policies that embody the principles of Positive Youth Development (PYD).
Under the direction of the Chief of Party, the DCOP will help provide management, and strong technical support in the implementation of the project. We are looking for passionate, dedicated professionals to help us build the world we envision: one of expanded opportunity, where crises give way to resilience and all people thrive.
The Deputy Chief of Party will be responsible for overseeing the technical teams and technical activity implementation. The DCOP will liaise with, guide, and ensure that the project’s implementation is aligned with its approved workplan and budget, and meets targets for achievement while providing high-quality technical assistance to government officials, civil society leaders, and others. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee technical project activities and supervises and mentors key program technical staff and consultants.
- Lead in meeting timely implementation of activities, and achievement of expected outputs with high levels of program quality.
- Oversee staff and partners’ planning, execution, and documentation of project activities, ensuring timely and high-quality achievement of targets and deliverables.
- Ensure that approved activities related to youth empowerment implement global and local best practices, providing strategic responses to changing program requirements as needed to meet project goals and objectives.
- Lead by learning through participative processes, listening to citizen voices and being flexible to stakeholders needs
- Conduct regular site visits to observe project progress, supervise data quality assessments and obtain feedback from participants and stakeholders.
- Establish mechanisms to bridge competency gaps among the gaps, performance of partners and community institutions.
- Use principles of adaptive management and data-driven continuous improvement processes and develop appropriate responses to solve challenges under tight deadlines while ensuring operational integrity and project impact.
- Partner with MEL team to install data quality, learning, and use of near-real time data to make programmatic decisions
- Partner with CoP converge with activities of GoJ and establish adaptive management for program excellence
- Hold monthly and quarterly project review sessions with staff and partners to routinely assess and improve project performance against workplan and targets.
- Lead project staff quarterly in analyzing and applying project performance and outcome data to monitor progress against indicator targets; and progress towards impact
- Build and maintain a sense of shared ownership and unified team effort among staff and local and international partners, as well as strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including the Jordanian Government (all levels), youth leaders and youth-led organizations, project participants, private sector, subcontractors, suppliers, and partners.
- Assume the position of Chief of Party role when the COP is not available.
- Work with senior staff to ensure that financial reports to USAID, effectively and accurately communicate project progress, achievements, challenges, and utilization of funds.
- Represent Global Communities and the project at meetings with multiple local stakeholders (other NGOs, government officials, private sector institutions, etc.) as needed and necessary.
- Promote Global Communities’ values (purposeful, committed, genuine, and connected) and ensuring that all project staff demonstrate these values.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a discipline related to international development, organizational development, project management, or in a closely related field with a minimum of 8 years of experience managing multi-sectoral projects with increasing responsibilities and duties in fields related to positive youth development and asset-based community development and/or providing relevant technical expertise to such projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to international development, organizational development, project management, or in a closely related field with a minimum of 10 years of experience managing multi-sectoral projects with increasing responsibilities and duties in fields related to positive youth development and asset-based community development and/or providing relevant technical expertise to such projects.
- Experience in the Middle East Region, with preference for recent work in Jordan.
- Proven experience in a leadership position involving the administration of similarly sized, international donor-supported programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting strongly preferred. International NGO experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience maintaining working relationships with local institutions, USAID, donor organizations, and government counterparts.
- Knowledge/Experience with USAID cooperative agreement rules and regulations strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of relevant local laws, regulations and policies is required.
- Experience building relationships between and among youth-led organizations, government entities, and private sector partners.
- Proven ability to communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams is desired.
- Evidence of effective communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the agreement is desired.
- Languages: Full Professional Proficiency in spoken and written English and Modern Standard Arabic. Must be able to use both languages fluently and accurately and be able to read all styles and forms on all levels pertinent to professional needs.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities.
Global Communities positively welcomes and seeks applications from all sections of society. We are committed to a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of everyone and offers equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.