Title: Data Analyst (Intern)
Reports to: Data Analyst
Duration: 3 Months
Insurance is a tool for vulnerable households in these affected regions to adapt to the effects that climate change is already having today on these households. It is a tool that enables for compensation payment for losses and damages that these households had no part in causing. Insurance compensation enables these households to make adjustments to their day to day livelihoods and practices and therefore allows for an equitable and just transition.
At Pula, we are building the systems that enable farmers worldwide to access insurance, using technology to insure this previously uninsured worldwide. We work in over 17 countries across Africa and Asia, and by 2021, have facilitated crop insurance cover to over 6 million farmers, 30% of who are women, across Kenya, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Rwanda, Uganda, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Zambia, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Tanzania, Mozambique and Malawi. We are a for profit, and have raised over $10 million from leading venture and institutional investors as well as developed philanthropic relationships with private foundations and bilateral donors such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and German Insure Resilience Solutions Fund that have accelerated investments in our target markets.
Pula is proudly break-neck paced, constantly learning from the challenges we face and overcome. We are proudly culturally diverse but united in our ambition of continuous high-performance. By challenging ourselves we believe that we can overcome the hard problems we love solving.
At Pula, our culture is defined by our:
- Obsession with results: We are responsible for our future and therefore we get things done!
- Ability to connect the Dots: We continuously identify different customer needs & business problems and build solutions that deliver value.
- Our Can do Attitude! We dare to do things differently to make things work.
- Ability to have each others’ back: We look out for each other & we share high quality, timely feedback that makes us better.
What you will be doing:
Working under the vision, guidance and direction of the Data and Insights Manager, Pula is seeking the services of a Data Analyst Intern who will be responsible for data management and analysis, problem identification and resolution to ensure integrity of the data, Implementation of department strategies. The ideal candidate will be data driven, good at documentation, project management, and shifting comfortably between strategy and execution.
- Run operations data quality checks as per SOPs and issue error log to the FC's
- Correct the error logs and run the data acceptance criteria
- Support CCE back checks for every protocol
- Edits field agent responses in Mavuno based on feedback shared on DQCs
- Data cleaning and analysis
- Generate sample lists for incident surveys
- Support follow up work from support desk as and when required
- Use a combination of data analytics and project knowledge to identify risks and problems in a project
- Update your manager daily, weekly, and ad-hoc as required
- Make recommendations for potential solutions when problems are found in the field
- Assist in sampling or other CCE/Survey work as required
- Be available on Slack every day
- Be available on the phone during work hours
- Use all designated tools and software as required
- Maintain honesty and transparency at all times
- Use direct forms of communication: if there is a problem, say so. If you have feedback, say so.
- Accept feedback from your peers and superiors with genuine listening and endeavor to improve whenever provided with constructive feedback
- Determine appropriate methods to perform data quality checks, analyzing data and operations
- Identify gaps in current data quality checks SOPs and advise on improvements
- Developing new processes and procedures to enhance operations.
- Training field staff to use new systems or follow new processes
- Determining the effectiveness of new processes
- Documenting findings, preparing reports, and making recommendations
Who you are:
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCES:
- Undergraduate Degree in Statistics,Economics,Agricultural Economics. Agribusiness Management, Information Systems.
- Expertise in using specialists statistical analysis software and data visualization techniques e.g PowerBI or Similar
- Ability to translate and present complex information to diverse audiences through clear writing and excellent verbal communication skills
- Experience with new applications and innovations e.g mobile data collection technologies e.g Commcare
- Ability develop technical data into presentations
- Ability to work with successfully with diverse groups, partners, colleagues and a team player
- Work well both independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to effectively perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities while meeting deadlines
To learn more about Pula:
- TED Talk: Crop Insurance, an Idea Worth Seeding
- New York Times: He Grew up on a Farm. Now, He Helps Protect Them
- The Economist: The Poor, Who Most Need Insurance, Are Least Likely to Have It