World Resource Institute is hiring a
Position: Country Director
WRI Brasil is a research institute that advances sustainable development solutions that protect and restore the environment and provide economic and human well-being opportunities for all. We combine research and technical excellence and partnerships with governments, private sector, academia and civil society to transforms big ideas into on the ground actions.
We are looking for a visionary leader with conceptual clarity and strategic thinking to lead organizational growth and scale our impact. You will be a dynamic, articulate leader who brings both a global perspective and strong local knowledge. You will enjoy a positive reputation in Brazil’s scientific and sustainable development community. You must be adept in mapping the internal and external political terrain, mobilizing teams around ideas, and building and leading coalitions. You will also be a savvy fundraiser and dedicated people manager. A background in economics or finance would be a plus.
WRI Brasil is part of the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research institution with operations in more than 50 countries. WRI has the knowledge of approximately 1300 experts and professionals in offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, Mexico, India, Indonesia and the United States.
Key activities and/or responsibilities
As the WRI Brasil Country Director, you will bring a strong track record demonstrating your credibility and versatility in working with some of the following: government institutions at national and subnational levels, private sector business leaders, multilateral/bilateral institutions, and civil society as well as an ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships. Internally, you will provide vision, leadership and mentorship to staff, ensure the smooth running of programs and operations within WRI Brasil, and work closely with technical teams to assess research needs and implement programs to meet those needs. As a member of the global management team, you will support cross-programmatic initiatives to ensure effective coordination between global programs and WRI Brasil’s activities. With your leadership, WRI Brasil will deliver strong, impactful programs that advance our global mission of moving human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
• Develop and maintain an ambitious country vision and strategy in collaboration with the global office and contribute to the institutional mission and goals.
• Lead a cohesive and high performing team of WRI Brasil’s 60+ staff located in 2 offices in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre.
• in Brasil to foster a culture of excellence in all aspects of work and inculcate WRI’s values into all activities. Lead WRI Brasil’s 60+ staff located in 2 offices in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre.
• Be an essential member of WRI’s Global Management team.
• Develop a deep understanding of the national and state level political context to develop strategies for working effectively with government, academia, the private sector, and civil society to advance sustainability goals .
• Represent WRI Brasil to national and local government, donors, media, NGOs, civil society, corporate leaders, academia, alliances and coalitions, and other relevant partners.
• Cultivate, maintain, and grow a strong relationship with the WRI Brasil Board and its fiscal committee. Update the board regularly on activities, and carry out any other responsibilities as requested by the Board, in consultation with the Board Chair and Global VP of Research, Data and Innovation.
• Develop WRI Brasil’s brand by building on WRI’s global brand working closely with the global and Brasil-based communication teams.
• Represent and provide visibility for WRI Brasil in the target domains by organizing / participating in high profile events and other spaces.
• Build strong partnerships with organizations and alliances/coalitions that operate in similar agendas and spaces.
Program Development and Management
• Lead WRI Brasil’s strategic planning; work with program directors and program leads to shape programs.
• Identify potential new lines of work aligned with WRI Global and WRI Brasil’s institutional goals and strategy that would lead to targeted, transformative change.
• Set effective operational controls to maintain financial transparency and integrity. Hold the program teams accountable to the committed projects and outcomes.
• Explore and encourage cross programmatic initiatives to ensure effective coordination between global programs and Brasil’s project activities, among different programs within WRI Brasil, and to build streams of work around South-South and North-South collaborations.
Fundraising and Communications
• Provide strategic leadership for the long-term financial stability of WRI Brasil by leading efforts to develop and secure large scale, long-term funding in coordination with WRI Development staff and various Programs/Country offices.
• Lead donor stewardship and identify and cultivate new donors from among business, foundations, and individual sources.
• Experienced and recognized leader, minimum of 15 years of relevant work experience with at least 7 years in senior management roles managing a large number of staff.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Strategic mindset capable of providing a compelling vision and strategy. Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, project management, research, and operations.
• Effective relationship builder who inspires staff and maintains the confidence and stature to engage with various stakeholders including government, NGOs, and academic institutions. Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships for WRI Brasil ‘s growth.
• Proven track record in building and maintaining very strong and successful relationships with high-level stakeholders, including international organizations, government, academic, business sector and NGO’s, locally and globally.
• Depth of knowledge and experience of working in Brasil with knowledge and passion for environment, sustainable development and poverty alleviation related issues and a sense of urgency about the mission of WRI Brasil and the need to address the environment and development challenges confronting humankind.
• Effective team builder and leader. Ability to lead, manage, empower, and motivate a diverse team located at multiple sites.
• Prior experience or willingness to engage in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters
• Excellent writing, speaking, editing, and presentation skills. Fluent in Portuguese and English language.
• Stamina for the task at hand, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and under deadline pressure.
• Vision and enthusiasm to structure and position the organization for a new cycle of growth.
• Fundraising nationally and internationally. Capacity to create and pursue funding opportunities in coordination and partnership with WRI's global sisterhood, global and local partners.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and knowledge. WRI Brasil offers CLT 40h/week contracting, life insurance, health and dental plan, meal vouchers, and other benefits. The position will be based in the office in Sao Paulo – Brazil.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates must apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs/ by 30/02/2023. All applications must be submitted on WRI's career portal in order to be considered for the WRI Brasil selection process.
São Paulo: +55 11 3032-1120 - Rua Claudio Soares, 72/1510, Pinheiros, 05422-030 SP
Porto Alegre: +55 51 3312-6324 – Av. Independência, 1299/401, 90035-077 RS
Wribrasil.org – https://www.facebook.com/wribrasil