Oversight Board is hiring a
About the Oversight Board
The Oversight Board makes binding and independent decisions about the most challenging content issues on Facebook and Instagram. Members of the Board include Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark, Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize winner, Michael McConnell, Director of Stanford’s Constitutional Law Center, and many other diverse leaders and thinkers from around the world. The Board issued its first decisions in January 2021.
The Oversight Board Administration is the team of full-time staff who support Board Members in carrying out their duties. The Administration has a presence in London, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., and operates with a global scope.
You can learn more about the Board at www.oversightboard.com.
Joining the Oversight Board Administration is a chance to be part of an organization which is leading on some of the most prominent and challenging issues facing the tech industry and society.
Reporting to the Head of Content & Editorial, based in London, the Content & Editorial Lead will drive development of written content essential for communicating the work of the Board. A passionate storyteller, the postholder will have experience of writing about complex societal or technology issues. The postholder will produce engaging written content that can accurately present and explain our work to publics, policymakers, researchers and other communities following our work.
Responsibilities for this role will include, but are not limited to:
• Ensuring the Board’s decisions are clear and consistent, copy editing and summarizing key findings.
• Leading on the creation of content including op-eds, blog posts and other updates.
• Driving the Board’s publications, including our quarterly transparency reports and the Board’s annual report.
• Producing top-quality speaking points and presentations for Board Members and Administration staff for external events.
• Co-ordinating the Board’s communications output – liaising with content team and rest of the communications team to create a schedule of announcements.
• Leading on the procurement and management of vendors, as needed, for production of the annual report and other publications.
• Assisting with other aspects of content and editorial support for the Administration, as required by the Head of Content and Editorial.
Although much of this work will be proactive, at times you will also help support fast-moving reactive communications needs for the Oversight Board, including crafting external messaging and content that will support our rapid response efforts.
This role may be based in the Administration’s location of Washington, DC or London.
Skills & Experience
• Excellent spoken and written communication skills, with proven experience of translating complex issues into punchy and engaging content for diverse audiences.
• Proven experience working with high-profile leaders on variety of written content such as op-eds, reports, or speeches.
• Excellent attention to detail on matters of both style and substance.
• Ability to operate in a fast-paced organization, managing competing projects, priorities, and internal stakeholders simultaneously.
• Experience communicating on challenging and complex issues, including those related to technology and society.
• A deep understanding and enthusiasm for the role of the Oversight Board in the evolving technology and content moderation landscape.
What we can offer you
As well as a competitive annual salary of circa $150,000, we also offer a market leading benefits package, covering a variety of areas, both professional and personal. These benefits include:
Oversight Board is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. You will receive equal treatment regardless of age, mental or physical disability, gender, gender expression or gender identity (including transgender status), gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions) or maternity, race, colour, creed, nationality, ancestry, citizenship status, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
We welcome all applications for this role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. If you are submitting an application, please note that we will only be in touch if your application is shortlisted for interview. Please see our privacy notice here.
If you would like to keep updated with the work of the Oversight Board and future opportunities, please follow us on our LinkedIn page.