All Hands and Hearts is a disaster relief nonprofit. Our program bases are located in the communities we serve, and depending on the role you apply for you may be required to visit and/or live in our communal program environments. Please note that vaccination is required for all in-person work environments, including program bases and offices. You will also be expected to adhere to particular safety protocols (including relating to COVID-19), and should understand your responsibility for the safety of yourself and others around you. We will always provide an option for travel-exempt staff to join meetings and events virtually, to ensure we provide an inclusive environment for those who are unvaccinated or at high risk.
Diversity is the acknowledgment, promotion and celebration of our differences and similarities. All racial identities, ethnicities, sexes, nationalities, gender identities and expressions, physical and mental abilities, sexual orientations, ages, spiritualities, points of view and socioeconomic statuses can fit in with us. We support individuals from around the world and serve communities affected by disasters with purpose. Response, recovery, resilience and renewal are why we exist. Respect for the value of diversity, inclusion and social justice drives us forward every day. Everyone is welcome.
The start date for this position is June 2023. Must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Learn more about our Florida Hurricane Ian Relief program.
A versatile position within a dynamic nonprofit that provides community-inspired, volunteer-powered disaster relief. The position is full-time and is responsible for leading groups of skilled and unskilled volunteers in construction projects in disaster-impacted communities.
- Reports to Project Manager
- Roles reporting to position None
- Approximate number of reports 0
- Lead teams of staff and volunteers in residential construction projects and offer skilled troubleshooting and technical advice on worksites
- Teach unskilled volunteers construction skills such as mold sanitation and interior rebuild
- Train unskilled volunteers how to safely use power tools (e.g., circular saw, impact driver, reciprocating saw, hammer drill, etc.)
- Ensure compliance with work scope and quality standards
- Communicate tasks and expectations clearly to team members, providing effective technical training and constructive feedback when necessary to ensure compliance with project safety and quality standards
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized work site
- Maintain records of work completed including tracking material usage, volunteer hours, and scopes performed
- Positively represent the organization on base and within the community
- We understand vaccination is the best way to protect our beneficiaries, community members, staff and volunteers. Therefore, we require all staff members working in in-person environments (including program staff, office staff, team meetings and program visits) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Subject to applicable guidance, the term fully vaccinated currently refers to when an individual has received all recommended Covid-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.
- Perform other duties as required
- Is this position responsible for the operating budget of the associated department? No
- Does this position have any other financial responsibilities? No
- Education High school diploma or equivalent required
- Related Experience Previous All Hands and Hearts, AmeriCorps or Peace Corps experience preferred. Minimum of one year experience in residential construction. Experience in leading teams of volunteers in a post disaster environment.
- Special Competencies/Certifications Must be legally authorized to work in the US. Must have good written and oral communication skills. Needs to be well organized and able to prioritize and manage multiple concurrent tasks. Strong leadership skills with a proactive approach to identify and solve problems. Able to manage a large workload and perform in a fast paced environment. Valid driver's license required and clean driving record.
- Work Environment/Conditions Based on-program; communal living environment. High-stress situations.
Compensation & Benefits
- Pay rate is $11.70-$12.20 USD/ hour and up, based on position, skills and experience
- Room & board included
- Monthly R&R breaks
- Travel to and from program location
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance plans
- Flex Spending Account
- 401K with Safe Harbor Match
All Hands and Hearts is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic.