Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Communications Specialist will report to the DEIJ Communications Director and work as part of the Justice & Equity team at EDF. The Communications Specialist will support the Justice & Equity team and the DEIJ Communications Director on a variety of communication campaigns including coordinating with EDF’s Marketing and Communications Teams, DEIJ staff, partners, and external vendors. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential, knowledge and experiences in advocacy communications and public relations are a plus.
- Implement offline and online strategic communications plans for the Justice and Equity Team’s campaign and program activities.
- Implement the Frontline Resource Institute's communications plan - Daily duties will include updating media assets, including website and social media platforms and developing original content
- Draft press releases, fact sheets, blogs, social content and other materials using the highest writing standards, utmost accuracy and EDF’s style and messaging.
- Track and analyze EDF media clips on existing platforms, including Cision, and other means.
- Coordinate social media strategy on multiple platforms.
- Research climate, energy, legislative and related issues as needed for communications efforts.
- Help to maintain electronic files, including media lists, press clips, collateral, etc
- Help manage a portfolio of diverse community groups and partner organizations, which includes cultivating, informing, and engaging local and national partners through a variety of channels.
- Support work with the EDF content and digital teams or outside consultants to facilitate the design and production of creative assets, such as web pages, share graphics, reports, fact sheets, videos, etc.
- Respond to breaking news and events using social media, press releases, and other means.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals, in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in journalism, public relations, communication, marketing or relevant field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience developing, managing, and executing communications strategies.
- At least two (2) years writing, proofing, and editing skills with the ability to synthesize complex, detailed information into concise, engaging content for a variety of audiences.
- Graphic design and/or video editing experience is a plus.
- Proactive self-starter with a strong ability to anticipate logistical needs, quickly resolve issues or conflicts, and think ahead to meet the needs of staff for successful results
- Strong social media skills and experience including knowledge of social media platforms and tools.
- Background or strong knowledge of climate issues.
- Experience working with contractors (i.e. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.).
- Practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications or advocacy areas.
- Basic graphic and web design and video editing experience a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff, volunteers, funders, and vendors.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.