Reports to: Regional Director
Region: East Africa Office: Nairobi
Number of hours: 40 Hours a week
Application deadline: 12th February, 2023
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life-sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: civic rights; gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and climate justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
Hivos is looking for a Communications Officer who will be responsible for producing & curating content that contributes to Hivos’ positioning. They will work with both external and internal audiences to deliver on key communication initiatives for promotion, coordination, empowerment and program implementation, through the following focus areas:
Communication strategy and implementation
- Implement and adapt Hivos’ global corporate communications strategy in East Africa
- Implement an annual budgeted editorial calendar by working with various vendors and consultants in execution
- Act as a brand custodian for the region and ensure staff compliance with Hivos East Africa’s communications policy
- Provide communications advice and counsel to Hivos East Africa’s executive leadership and Regional Director closely weighing possible (security & reputational) risks
Online strategy and content development
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the online strategy.
- Produce, edit and/or curate (multimedia) content for the main hivos.org website through blogs, news items and opinion articles, illustrations, videos and infographics
- Manage Hivos East Africa’s social media channels on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
- Pro-actively gather intelligence in the environment through issue management and advise program and executive leadership where appropriate
- Continuously seek targeted opportunities to position Hivos’ work in East Africa through global bilateral and multilateral events, media interviews, Op-Eds amongst others
Engagement with International Communications Team
- Work in partnership with Corporate communications team based in the Netherlands, Latin America, MENA and Southern Africa to co-create campaigns, strategy, pro-active and reactive content pieces amongst others.
- Actively participate and contribute as a communications team member from East Africa
- Degree in media, journalism, communications, public relations or related field from a recognized institution
- At least five years’ work experience an international organization
- High level interpersonal skills including the ability to build relationships internally and externally
- Website and social media management experience
- Must possess excellent journalistic and photographic skills
- Ability to produce video and audio documentaries
- Exceptionally good writing skills
- Knowledge and experience of Desk Top Publishing packages like Quark Xpress and Adobe Page Maker
We particularly welcome applications from women, trans and/or intersex people (in the broadest sense of each of these terms). We offer a contract based on Hivos East Africa local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise requested.
Want to apply?
You are welcome to submit your application on the apply button located on the right side tab.