About the opportunity
Companies in all market sectors are responding to pressures to reduce their carbon footprint and how they source, use, and mitigate carbon-rich energy sources. In response to this, our clients are now required to inform investors, lenders insurers, and other stakeholders on the physical, liability and transition risks associated with moving to low-carbon energy sources and/or carbon sequestration approaches. These organizations need to consider how resilient their business model is to climate-related risks and opportunities as well as how they will respond to these requests. The Energy Transition Director will develop a strategy for assisting our clients with these fast-moving market changes with a focus on a shift from traditional energy sources to hydrogen, carbon-capture and storage, alternative energy sources, and renewable energy/storage projects.
This position will have reporting and communication requirements to the Client Services Senior Vice President.
What you will accomplish
- Capitalize on market changes through exploring business opportunities to incorporate low carbon energy sources such as hydrogen, off-shore wind, solar, or carbon storage/capture technologies.
- Collaborate with clients to determine how their waste might be used to produce energy and/or how to successfully permit energy transition projects that involve waste-to-energy cycles.
- Provide strategic input to clients for developing hydrogen projects as a sustainable fuel and energy vector for decarbonizing heat, power, and transportation.
- Carbon capture utilization and storage support.
- Manage complex planning, permitting, design and implementation of energy transition projects – in particular, hydrogen and carbon-related projects.
- Advise clients on how to develop and go to market with innovative solutions or business models that enable them to decarbonize their operations.
- Be a known expert on carbon capture, utilization, and storage and can conduct due diligence, regulatory guidance, and cost analysis for clients.
- Provide project development guidance for the transportation/pipeline and downhole sequestration of carbon.
- Work in-tandem with SWCA’s CEO and SVPs to grow SWCA’s energy transition services and our reputation as leaders in the market.
- Collaborate with SWCA’s Power and Energy Vice President and her team to develop energy transition strategies for SWCA’s existing Oil and Gas, Mining, onshore and offshore Wind/Solar, and Electric Transmission clients.
- Lead business development efforts to foster growth of the energy transition team and support proposal efforts in conjunction with the energy transition team.
- Keep projects on schedule and on budget and work with the local operational director to develop opportunities, business plans, business development targets, and sales goals on a regular basis.
- Work closely with SWCA’s resource scientists and environmental planners, managers, and directors throughout the company to promote SWCA’s business interests in adherence to its mission, vision, and values.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in ecology, planning, archaeology, engineering, or closely related field required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least 15 years of progressive experience in the environmental or energy services field
- Established client relationships throughout the energy industry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to produce high quality written reports and verbal presentations at hearing.
- Proven business development acumen and strong, existing client relationships
- Experience in other areas of environmental consulting such as Clean Water Act, cultural resources/Section 106, Endangered Species Act, and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) document preparation is preferred
- Ability to work independently and with Project Managers and Directors and multi-task regularly in a fast-paced environment with multiple changes; work under pressure & meet tight deadlines.
- Maintain focus on quality deliverables and ensure implementation of stringent QA/QC to ensure our work is of the highest quality and defensibility.
- Prior experience in leading and supporting the development of proposals and leading and participating in client interviews.
- Prior successful experience supervising and mentoring staff to assist the overall team in professional development goals and growth.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
Employees in this position are eligible for consideration for SWCA’s annual bonus program, which provides awards based on individual and organizational performance. To review additional benefits associated with this position, click here: https://www.swca.com/benefits
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.