Who we are
eHealth Africa (eHA) designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We leverage our staff and department expertise across five programmatic areas:
- Health Delivery Systems
- Public Health Emergency Management Systems
- Disease Surveillance Systems
- Laboratory & Diagnostic Systems
- Nutrition & Food Security Systems
In each of these programmatic areas, we partner with governments, communities, nonprofits and other stakeholders to generate holistic solutions, because we believe that every community deserves access to the types of tools that can enable them to lead healthier lives.
Purpose of the position
The Civil/Structural Engineer will work on supporting the procurement department through the design, implementation and maintenance of new and existing construction projects in any required location within Nigeria and other eHA locations in Africa. This includes plumbing and irrigation systems, carpentry, heating & cooling systems, ventilation, electrical wiring/ infrastructures, maintenance and repairs of structural features.
The role will offer broad-based support to eHA’s projects that have components of physical infrastructure to ensure high quality delivery, value for money and optimization of resources.
What you’ll do
The Civil/Structural Engineer will initiate/assist/report/monitor and develop the following initiatives and other duties which may be assigned:
- Develops operational solutions by defining, studying, estimating, and screening alternative solutions; calculating economics; determining impact on the total system.
- Anticipates operational problems by studying operating targets, modes of operation, unit limitations; monitoring unit performance.
- Improves operational quality results by studying, evaluating, and recommending process redesign; implementing changes; contributing information and opinion to unit design and modifying teams.
- Maintains a safe and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Provides operational management information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operating and engineering data and trends.
- Analyze aerial photography, blueprints, designs, survey reports etc. to calculate the pressures, loads and stresses or the construction projects.
- Inspect project sites and ensure that the structures are built to the analyzed specifications and met the sanitation and safety standards
- Estimate the quantities and quality of materials , equipment, expenses & labor in order to determine the feasibility of the project.
- Provide technical advice of the design, construction or modifications on all required structural repairs.
- Test the soils and materials for any project to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt or steel.
- Supervise the operations and maintenance activities of civic and electrical infrastructures including equipments, budgets, and personnel
- Conduct research on environmental conditions and traffic patterns and identify problems which could affect the building structures.
- Develop risk management strategies
- Prepare reports on civil and structural projects
- Other duties as may be assigned
Who you are
- Bachelor’s and Master's degree from college or university in Architecture engineering, Building Surveying, Building Study, Project Management, Engineering or related field.
- Eight (8) years working experience in Projects and Construction Management, preferably in an NGO or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of Five(5) years of supervisory experience in construction projects.
- Must Possess professional Certification in project management, construction or engineering.
- Proven ability to lead and manage multi-disciplinary/diverse teams, as well as mentoring team. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals.
- Ability to motivate others, delegation, and timely/quality decision-making.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate, interact and influence effectively at all levels within the Organization.
- Must have the ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency working within specialized software utilized in program.
- English is the spoken and written language. Fluency in Hausa is desirable.
- English is the spoken and written language. Fluency in local Hausa is an advantage.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the public.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHA is a tobacco-free environment.
We believe strongly in our mission and our core values, and our teams are most successful when they do also.
IMPACT & QUALITY:
We push ourselves to maintain high standards, ensuring that we produce the most meaningful results in everything we do, no matter how big or small.
We maintain a worldview driven by possibilities, not limitations. We take smart risks and foster an environment where creativity and innovation thrive.
We are honest and truthful in our work. We always do what is right, even when it is not easy. We put our values into practice and hold each other accountable.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.