The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) improves the nutrition, health, and well-being of people struggling against poverty-related hunger in the United States through advocacy, partnerships, and by advancing bold and equitable policy solutions.
The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) is the leading national nonprofit organization working towards a nation in which all people have the nutritious food they need to lead healthy and productive lives. FRAC achieves its goals through research, implementation and execution of its initiatives and awareness campaigns. The organization conducts research to document hunger in America and its root causes and identify evidenced-based solutions. FRAC provides training, technical assistance, and support to a wide and diverse network of national, state, and local nonprofits, service providers, food banks, and nutrition program administrators.
FRAC also runs public awareness and advocacy campaigns to mobilize advocates to urge lawmakers to advance bold policy solutions to end hunger. The organization is supported by individuals, corporations, and foundations.
The Food Research & Action Center is looking for a Chief Program Officer (CPO) for their Washington, D.C. headquarters. The CPO position reports directly to FRAC’s President and will work closely with other senior leaders of the organization to advance FRAC's unique value proposition by driving strategy and innovation in ending poverty-related hunger. The CPO
must be familiar with anti-poverty issues or have experience advocating for public benefit programs at the federal level and a commitment to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion. Experience working on anti-hunger issues is preferable. On a day-to-day basis, the CPO leads, manages, and coordinates the work of multiple program areas and is responsible for ensuring successful cross-coordination between program areas and with other departments. The CPO is a skilled manager, with experience and comfort interacting with senior executives. The CPO is nimble, transparent, and thrives in a participatory leadership environment.
WHAT'S ATTRACTIVE TO THE RIGHT CANDIDATE?
- This position will work directly with FRAC’s president and senior executives and has a seat at the table to help shape the organization’s future
- This team member will play a critical role in helping implement the organization’s new strategic plan
- This position is critical to the organization and will manage a broad portfolio of responsibility
- You will be joining an effective, committed, high-performing group of colleagues who are well-regarded in the community
We are financially stable with a track record of effective fund development and a plan for continued growth
PROGRAM STRATEGY AND LEADERSHIP
- Work in collaboration with FRAC’s president and the leadership team to implement FRAC’s strategic vision that will inform short- and long-term program goals consistent with FRAC’s strategic plan and available financial resources
- Ensure programs are aligned and coordinated and barriers to collaboration are reduced to ensure consistency and produce results
- In conjunction with other staff and consultants, embed principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion within all FRAC’s programmatic offerings consistent with FRAC’s Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategic charter and work plan
- Embed principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion within all FRAC’s programmatic offerings consistent with FRAC’s Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategic charter and work plan
- Broaden and strengthen how FRAC articulates over-arching, cross-cutting and programmatic strategies or positions aligned with FRAC's values and goals
- Build on FRAC's leadership on the federal nutrition programs and develop new areas of work around root causes, and research areas
- Be conversant with FRAC’s programs, positions, strategies, and goals across all program areas and effectively serve as a representative and spokesperson for the organization
- Increase opportunities for FRAC’s network to engage on these portfolios of work
- Monitor and evaluate program activities on a regular basis
- Support fundraising efforts for the organization, including working with development staff to craft strategies that will engage new funders and donors
- Work with FRAC leadership and outside consultants to embed policy strategy and recommendations for the President
- Build and manage a highly effective and cohesive program team that delivers on FRAC’s priorities for the people impacted by hunger
- Monitor team performance and carry out supervisory responsibilities, including assigning and directing work, evaluating performance, and delivering timely and constructive feedback in accordance with policies and applicable laws
- Ensure clarity around decision-making authority both within departments and among members of cross-departmental teams
- Provide leadership to directors in assessing programmatic priorities, projects, and activities and their feasibility and priority in attaining the organization’s mission
- Mentor and work closely with directors to supervise, evaluate, mentor, encourage and motivate staff
- Deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward organizational goals, working with directors to balance workload and efforts, and provide regular feedback to spur continuous improvement in supervision and mentoring skills
- In conjunction with directors, develop and implement staffing plans to align staff expertise and capabilities with responsibilities and to achieve program goals and objectives
- Work with directors and the human resources team to identify and shape new positions when appropriate and participate in hiring decisions for new program staff
- Work closely with the finance department to budget and monitor programmatic operations to ensure sound fiscal and system management
- Work closely with the finance department to establish and implement grant administration protocols and procedures
- Oversee the budget development process for departments under the CPO’s supervision and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility
- Demonstrated accomplishments in a senior management role, with a proven track record in building and managing effective teams
- Demonstrated commitment to working for social justice
- Commitment to the principles of racial equity, diversity, and inclusion and experience in implementing these principles in program areas
- Effective team leadership and managing change skills while balancing competing priorities strongly desired
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and coach senior staff members and coordinate between multiple programmatic areas
- Experience in federal policy advocacy and program development
- A strategic mindset and ability to connect programs to organizational goals and outcomes
- Proven results leveraging available resources effectively to meet program objectives and exceptional program, budget, and grant management skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, make timely decisions and advise staff on multiple projects, priorities and deadlines while providing timely, comprehensive feedback
- Possess a proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and an interest in building a strong organizational culture
- Display excellent and versatile oral and written communications skills including the ability to summarize detailed information
- Demonstrate an ability to demonstrate respect, professionalism, and sound judgment clearly and consistently with all people
- Exercise high and strict levels of confidentiality and use professional judgment and discretion
- Have a familiarity with Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, Slack and other social media and web-based applications
FRAC has expressed interest in candidates with lived expertise with hunger or poverty who can contribute to the diversity of the organization.
Salary commensurate with Generous leave, health, retirement, and other benefits
August Leadership is a global firm with a leading Social Impact/ Non Profit practice has been exclusively retained for this engagement. To make recommendations or express interest in this opportunity please email email@example.com.
All inquires and discussions will be considered strictly confidential
August Leadership and FRAC are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employers, and are firmly committee to a policy against discrimination based on age, sex, race, religious creed, sexual orientation, disability, ethic or national origin.
All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.