Location: Amman**, Jordan**
Please Note: This position is contingent upon award and USAID approval with an anticipated start date of May/June 2023.
Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development, and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community. We work with government, non-government, private sector, and community stakeholders to promote transparency, foster accountability, and access the channels they need to make their voices heard, promote change, and realize their full potential.
Global Communities is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID Jordan Youth Grow Activity. This five-year $10-25M program will empower Jordanian Youth by 1) Increasing youth access to high-quality career planning information and livelihood opportunities, 2) Strengthening youth leadership through targeted support of local youth-led and youth-serving organizations to promote youth participation as decision-makers and critical contributors to individual, household, community, and national well-being and 3) Strengthening Government of Jordan (GOJ) systems, in partnership with Youth, to provide more coordinated and effective services, practices, and policies that embody the principles of Positive Youth Development (PYD).
The COP will lead and oversee the overall implementation of the program, including technical strategy, financial and operational leadership, and human resources. We are looking for passionate, dedicated professionals to help us build the world we envision: one of expanded opportunity, where crises give way to resilience and all people thrive.
The COP is responsible for overall program implementation, strategic vision, and outcome achievement. The COP provides an integrated vision for the program and will manage a team of senior staff to ensure the quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated under the project. S/he will utilize the principles of adaptive management to maximize impact and facilitate innovation. Finally, the COP will be responsible for communications with USAID, for publicly representing the project, and for liaising with government and other institutions/stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Provide program leadership, direction, coaching and supervision, including oversight of staff, consultants, and partners, monitoring and evaluation, and program implementation.
- Ensure implementation of technical interventions, resulting in concrete and specific outcomes.
- Lead regular work plan, budget, and implementation reviews to facilitate the cost-effective and timely achievement of contract deliverables.
- Manage team members, including highly specialized technical staff, to deliver against the annual workplan by creating enabling environment and organization culture in synergy with GC
- Ensure project activities maximize impact and are completed in compliance with Global Communities, USAID rules and regulations, local laws, and donor agreement requirements.
- Lead in monitoring progress towards impact, data driven decision making, adaptive management, achieving peak performance and facilitating innovation.
- Wherever possible, identify opportunities to engage partners and create growth, and connect actors to find mutual opportunity and benefit.
- Oversee the production and submission of timely activity and financial reports to USAID, effectively and accurately communicating project progress, achievements, challenges, and utilization of funds.
- Meet program targets, as well as fiscal integrity of the use of program funds.
- Establish a proactive management culture by developing bottlenecks, barrier and risks register and mitigation procedures
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of systems for project operations.
- Act as primary point of contact with USAID, government counterparts, and other critical in-country stakeholders.
- Provide inputs and quality control for written reports and oral presentations on the program.
- Represent Global Communities and overall program interests as necessary and appropriate.
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders especially GoJ, practice mutual accountability with partners, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers, and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Foster good working relationships with other agencies working on similar or complimentary projects, maximizing visibility and learning.
- Be the principal point of contact with other agencies and individuals working on related projects and activities.
- Ensure that lessons learned are disseminated and applied.
- Liaise with GC colleagues to coordinate the inputs of gender and inclusion, monitoring and evaluation and other advisory inputs to provide cross-cutting support.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a discipline related to international development, organizational development, project management, or in a closely related field with a minimum of 10 years of experience managing multi-sectoral projects with increasing responsibilities and duties in fields related to addressing workforce training and/or at risk-youth development or,
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to international development, organizational development, project management, or in a closely related field with a minimum of 12 years of experience managing multi-sectoral projects with increasing responsibilities and duties in fields related to addressing workforce training and/or at risk-youth development.
- Five (5) years’ experience as Chief of Party, senior management position, or equivalent, leading implementation of large international donor programs particularly related to civic engagement, civil society strengthening, or related subjects; experience with positive youth empowerment and engagement is preferred.
- Experience successfully implementing youth and asset-based community development programs in at-risk communities in Jordan or in countries within the MENA region.
- Experience in capacity building, civil society and workforce development.
- Proven experience in a leadership position involving the administration of similarly sized, international donor-supported programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting is strongly preferred. International NGO is strongly preferred.
- High level of interpersonal, technical, and analytical skills, including a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collaborate with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of relevant USAID policies and strategies, including USAID’s Gender Equality and Female Empowerment Policy; Positive Youth Development Policy; and Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting Framework.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with government officials, civil society organizations, private sector actors, implementing partners, international donors, and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge/experience with USAID rules and regulations required; experience managing USAID cooperative agreements preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of relevant local laws, regulations and policies is
- Management/supervisory experience is required.
- Proven ability to communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams is desired.
- Evidence of effective communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the agreement is desired.
- Languages: Full Professional Proficiency in spoken and written English and Modern Standard Arabic. Must be able to use both languages fluently and accurately and be able to read all styles and forms on all levels pertinent to professional needs.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities.
Global Communities positively welcomes and seeks applications from all sections of society. We are committed to a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of everyone and offers equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.