Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community.
Global Communities is seeking a Chief of Party to join the Sustainable Development team located in Guatemala. The Chief of Party will lead the USAID Guatemala Integrating WASH (IWASH) Activity for Global Communities. This five-year $16 million activity addresses persistent challenges in the safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and water resources management (WRM) sectors that result in increasing the equitable availability and sustainable management of safe water and sanitation for the underserved and most vulnerable. The COP will lead and oversee the overall implementation of the program, including technical strategy, financial and operational leadership, and human resources.
The COP is responsible for overall program implementation, strategic vision, and outcome achievement. The COP provides an integrated vision for the program and will manage a team of senior staff to ensure the quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated under the project. S/he will utilize the principles of adaptive management to maximize impact and facilitate innovation. Finally, the COP will be responsible for communications with USAID, for publicly representing the project, and for liaising with government and other institutions/stakeholders.
- Provide program leadership, direction, and supervision, including oversight of staff, consultants, and partners, monitoring and evaluation, and program implementation.
- Ensure implementation of technical interventions, resulting in concrete and specific outcomes.
- Lead regular work plan, budget, and implementation reviews to facilitate the cost-effective and timely achievement of contract deliverables.
- Manage team members, including highly specialized technical staff, to deliver against the annual workplan.
- Ensure project activities maximize impact and are completed in compliance with Global Communities, USAID rules and regulations, local laws, and donor agreement requirements.
- Lead in adaptive management, achieving peak performance and facilitate innovation.
- Wherever possible, identify opportunities to engage partners and create growth, and connect actors to find mutual opportunity and benefit.
- Oversee the production and submission of timely activity and financial reports to USAID, effectively and accurately communicating project progress, achievements, challenges, and utilization of funds.
- Meet program targets, as well as fiscal integrity of the use of program funds.
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of systems for project operations.
- Act as primary point of contact with USAID, government counterparts, and other critical in-country stakeholders.
- Provide inputs and quality control for written reports and oral presentations on the program.
- Represent Global Communities and overall program interests as necessary and appropriate.
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers, and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Foster good working relationships with other agencies working on similar or complimentary projects, maximizing visibility and learning.
- Be the principal point of contact with other agencies and individuals working on related projects and activities.
- Ensure that lessons learned are disseminated and applied.
- Liaise with colleagues to coordinate the inputs of gender and inclusion, monitoring and evaluation and other advisory inputs to provide cross-cutting support.
- Undertakes all other duties and programs as may be assigned from time to time.
POSITION SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Up to 50% travel throughout the country and internationally may be required of this position.
- Supervises staff and leads implementation in two country office teams geographically dispersed.
- Promotes a culture of excellence, inclusion, learning, support, diversity and innovation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of water and sanitation, and related financing models is an asset.
- Knowledge of behavior change principles and behavior change communication techniques is an asset.
- High level of interpersonal, technical, and analytical skills, including a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collaborate with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of relevant USAID policies and strategies.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with government officials, civil society organizations, private sector actors, implementing partners, international donors, and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge/experience with USAID rules and regulations required.
- Proven ability to communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams is desired.
- Evidence of effective communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the agreement is desired.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline and a minimum of eight years of related work experience or a minimum of 12 years of related work experience.
- Five (5) years’ experience as Chief of Party, senior management position, or equivalent, leading implementation of large international donor programs, particularly related to Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) technical assistance, local governance, and/or private sector capacity building for improvement of WASH services in developing countries.
- Experience in Latin America with preference for recent work in Guatemala. Experience with the Guatemala WASH sector is an advantage.
- Proven experience in a leadership position involving the administration of similarly sized, international donor-supported programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting is strongly preferred. International NGO or for-profit contractor experience is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of relevant local laws, regulations and policies is
- Management/supervisory experience is required.
- Languages: Professional Spanish and English fluency required.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities.
The salary for this position is between 102,800 to 187,300. Salary is based on several factors including qualifications, experience, and internal equity.
As an organization working to advance public health, Global Communities has an obligation to model best practices and to do all we can to protect each other, our partners and the communities where we work. To ensure the continuity and effectiveness of our business operations, Global Communities is adopting a policy to safeguard the health of our visitors, employees, families, and the larger global community from COVID-19. Effective January 3, 2022, all U.S.-based Global Communities employees are required to provide proof of having received full dosage of COVID-19 vaccine that is FDA approved, approved for emergency use authorization, or have an approved medical or religious exemption on file with Global Communities, as a condition of employment.
Global Communities holds strict safeguarding principles and has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment. In the process of recruitment, selection, and appointment, Global Communities will conduct robust reference and background screening checks, including international vetting as a signature of the Global Misconduct Disclosure Scheme to ensure children and vulnerable adults are safeguarded, and abuse is prevented. The incumbent is required to carry out their duties in accordance with Global Communities Safeguarding policy and the Standards of Conduct.
Global Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.