One Tree Planted is a US-based 501(c)(3) non-profit focused on global reforestation. As an environmental charity, we are dedicated to making it easier for individuals and businesses to give back to the environment, create a healthier climate, protect biodiversity, and help reforestation efforts around the world. All by planting trees! To continue our work in the industry in supporting and finding nature-based solutions to climate change, we are expanding our offerings into the for-profit space in creating a global portfolio of nature-based projects that will produce certified carbon offsets as well as other social, environmental and community benefits. The newly created management company, One Forest will allow us to be part of the upward trend to transform the corporate, global capital markets and philanthropic sector with high quality nature-based projects.
The ideal start date for this position is as soon as possible
The ideal candidate will assist the team in increasing investments to support sustainable forests, and our global portfolio of nature-based projects. The Chief Financial Officer will play a vital role in the financial management and strategy of the organization while helping to sustain and accelerate the visions of One Forest with a healthy economic growth. You would be working directly with the Chief Executive Officer to ensure the financial health of the organization.
Finance and Accounting
- Actively manage the day-to-day accounting and financial operations of the organization.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, program budgets, and actual expenditures.
- Manage accounting control systems and internal audits enduring the accurate and timely production of accounting information and financial reports.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of One Forest financial status.
- Lead the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting, assess the financial efficacy of program operations, and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations by working in partnership with leadership and key program staff.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- In conjunction with the CEO and the One Tree Planted leadership, the CFO will play a key part in providing guidance and structure in capital raising to potential investors. You will be responsible for executing efforts to raise capital with specific projects that have a climate impact for our corporate partners (corporations, family offices and institutional investors)
- Serve as the organization's primary liaison with its independent Auditor to ensure the annual audit is completed smoothly and in a timely manner.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Support leadership in engaging the board around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Oversee all financial, project/program, and capital accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Seek innovative ideas that can be applied across the growth of One Forest.
- Oversee changes in legal, regulatory, and administrative environments and implement changes in procedures needed to maintain compliance while maximizing operational and financial results.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, or business administration, or equivalent. Master’s Degree preferred.
RELATED EXPERIENCE: At least 10+ years of experience as Controller, Chief Financial Officer, or equivalent
- Financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making
- Strong background in sustainability, impact investment, forestry, and ESG portfolios
- Profound insight and experience in engaging with corporate and financial institutions to arrange transactions
- Significant knowledge of structuring and origination experience from the corporate, banking, climate finance or management sector
- Excellent partnership building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions
- Deep appreciation and personal alignment with the mission of One Forest and One Tree Planted and the ability to thrive in a collaborative, and entrepreneurial philosophy
- Clear understanding for how nature-based solutions and carbon markets can be used for impact first opportunities
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder with a strong commitment to the professional development
- IDEAL LOCATION: Anywhere in North America
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary and a highly competitive package of benefits including:
- Flexible work environment
- Competitive PTO Plan
- Health and Wellness plans
- Yearly bonus
- Retirement plans with competitive employer contribution
- Travel opportunities, international and domestic
- Cover letter indicating your interest in the position and why you think you would be a good fit with the organization.
- Your resume.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Responsibilities, duties may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice. One Tree Planted is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.