We are looking for a Chief Development Officer who can deliver our fundraising targets to achieve our ambitious strategic goals for the coming years. Can you set the strategy to cultivate and create new fundraising possibilities and broaden donor awareness of Triggerise? Read on to hear more about the role of CDO at Triggerise!
Triggerise believes in a world where all youth have the power to choose where, when, and how they meet their sexual reproductive health needs. Our digital platform delivers scalable and verifiable sexual reproductive health services for young people in 5 main markets in Sub Saharan Africa - Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, South Africa and Burkina Faso. We work together with local communities and use nudges like reminders, discounts, and reward points to encourage our users to access and use sexual and reproductive health services. We also support our users in becoming micro-entrepreneurs and adding value to their economies.
Triggerise has offices in South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia, the Netherlands and Portugal. Globally, our team consists of 160 enthusiastic, international colleagues. Whether you are working from our biggest office in Nairobi, the fast-growing office in South Africa, or from home, our people are young and our culture is global and dynamic. Our work environment is fast-paced, informal, and friendly. You can learn more about what being part of Triggerise is like here.
For this position we are open to candidates based anywhere in the world, with a preference for candidates based in a timezone that is similar to that of South Africa.
As Chief Development Officer, you will be responsible for leading all Triggerise fundraising efforts as well as our external communication and donor relations. You will be responsible for generating additional revenue that will bring Triggerises annual budget from $ 15 million annually in 2023 to $ 25 million annually in 2026, supporting the growth of our programs in 5 key markets: Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Burkina Faso and South Africa. To achieve this ambitious objective, you will use your existing networks as well as current Triggerise contacts and supports. In particular, you will raise Triggerises profile among bilaterals and cultivate philanthropic support from foundations, corporations and high-net-worth individuals.
This is a critical position for the organisation and an exciting opportunity to create the fundraising strategy and roadmap for Triggerise’s future – developing and implementing ambitious fundraising, outreach, and constituency building strategies. You are part of the C-suite and operate globally and lead a number of teams that will help you reach your targets.
Main Responsibility Areas
Oversee all fundraising efforts
- Ensure Triggerise has a healthy funding pipeline and conversion success rate that guarantees the organisations continued growth in the future.
- Network, maintain good donor relationships and identify opportunities.
- Oversee the full proposal development process, from opportunity identification to submission.
- Represent Triggerise globally and advocate for and promote our impact goals and objectives.
Fundraising strategy and external communications
- Build and implement a full 3 year fundraising strategy.
- Leverage our current success with the implementation of impact bonds and results based funding and use it to access other innovative financing mechanisms.
- Create a strategy for new investable products and initiatives that can support our core mission.
- Design and implement a core funding strategy as well as a tech funding strategy.
- Establish the direction for the organisation’s corporate communication and external global outreach efforts.
Process and people management
- Be a transformational leader that provides clear and actionable leadership to your department and in the wider organisation. Based on your skillset we will define your final portfolio together upfront, but teams ideally include NBD, Communications and PR and potentially Grants or MERL. Total team size will be roughly 6-20 FTE (Full Time Equivalent).
- Build and maintain a proposal development process and team that delivers the right amount of high quality proposals. Build effective partnerships with other teams across the organisation to ensure proposals are of high quality, relevant and realistically budgeted.
- Ensure effective management, analysis and segmentation of our donor pipeline.
- Strategically budget and decide on staffing and fund allocation to optimise impact of efforts.
- Be a key member of the C-suite of Triggerise, which requires strategic thinking, hands-on implementation and seamless partnerships across the executive team and the organisation.
- Develop strategies to cultivate, create and raise new fundraising initiatives and broaden the awareness about Triggerise with your target audience.
- You are an incredible networker that is able to open doors and is great at connecting with people at all levels.
- You are a realistic strategist that can convert openings into real funding possibilities.
- You can convey our story in an authentic, engaging and persuasive way.
- You are a human centred leader that can remotely inspire teams across cultures.
- You are an excellent writer.
- You have the technological knowledge and interest to be able to understand and sell a digital platform based solution.
- You can keep a helicopter view, but are not afraid to get your hands dirty and get involved when needed.
- You have a data-driven approach and mindset.
- You are a confident decision-maker who can communicate directions and solutions clearly.
- 10 - 15 years of experience in fundraising is required, and minimum 5 years of experience in a senior role such as Chief Development Officer.
- Experience working for a large (SRH) donor or extensive experience as a fundraising director for a large international (SRH) NGO.
- You have a proven track record in successfully securing a minimum of $ 5 million per year from a diversity of major donors, corporations (especially tech-related ones), individual philanthropists and foundations. In securing this funding, you can prove you were responsible for initiating the leads as well as the strategic development of opportunities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and fundamental adherence to the principles, ethics, and best practices of modern fundraising, including superior knowledge of donor relations principles and fundraising strategy.
- A proven personal network with SRH donors, both private and government as well as a proven track record in revenue-generation from a wide variety of sources including investors/ investment funds, corporations, and foundations.
- Open to travel and flexible in working hours because of the global character of Triggerise.
- We offer a competitive salary based on experience, location and the agreed scope of the position.
- Great secondary benefits, depending on your location.
- A personal development budget.
- Unlimited holidays, if you can make it work with your team you’re good to go.
- Growth opportunities.
- A product to help shape as we grow, to leave your mark on how we do things.
- A vision that we trust that you will do your job without us having to invent unnecessary rules and regulations.
Interested? Click Apply for This Job! Want more information? Check out our website triggerise.org or contact our Global Recruiter. We only accept applications through the apply links, not by email.