The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: The Business Development Manager / Marketing Manager is responsible for developing growth strategies and go to market plans that measurably improve the business’ market position, drive differentiated customer experiences and achieve commercial results in a particular end customer segment. The role will combine market intelligence, data-driven insights and a deep understanding of customer needs to identify trends, “white space” opportunities, and develop areas of competitive advantage to drive profitable revenue growth:
- Serve as a market segment expert, understanding both the broad landscape of the market as well as the granularities of it, including the key players, competitive threats, and levers for success.
- Drive customer intimacy and brand equity by defining customer needs, pain points, buying behaviors, and preferences.
- Collaborate with different groups to design and execute strategies that generate demand and drive growth through customer acquisition, retention, and win-back.
- Identify and build the case for the big “strategic bets” for growth in the category, including product & program development opportunities, expansion into adjacencies, cross-selling and upselling potential, and new business models.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
In collaboration with marketing communications, product management and sales colleagues:
- Sources and interprets multiple and complex data sets (from internal and external sources) into insights that lead to profitable business growth opportunities.
- Produces a robust multi-year “Market Map” based on identification of under-served customer markets, monitoring of industry trends and high-growth, attractive market/technology drivers.
- Regularly gathers and analyzes business, market and competitor information and supports the development of the strategic business and marketing plan.
- Leads Voice of Customer studies to solve strategic growth questions for the business and sense for latent customer needs.
New Business Development:
- Promotes both new and existing programs in target market segments to gain share and drive profitable sales growth.
- Works closely with the Demand Generation Manager to develop targeted lead generation and brand building campaigns to drive revenue growth.
- Partners with sales to identify strategic accounts and provide insights, training, or other marketing support as needed.
- Assesses new & adjacent market opportunities to develop go-to market strategies and innovation ideas to pursue these opportunities.
- Builds industry and customer alliances and participates in industry/trade organizations.
- Identifies potential business partners and M&A opportunities.
- Develops content for and/or participates in training events for customers and sales organization.
- Demonstrates thought leadership by presenting in industry seminars, webinars and customer facing meetings.
- Influence and persuasion
- Analysis and synthesis
- Learning agility
- Cross functional collaboration
- Strategic business planning
- Market and customer analysis
- Customer value proposition
- Sales enablement
- External_:_ Customers, third party partners, industry associations
- Internal_:_ Marketing, Product Management, Sales, Service, R&D
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BA or BS in Marketing, Business or Engineering.
- 8+ years’ experience in water utilities, construction, mining, or other industrial field (marketing, sales, service, engineering, product management, etc.).
- Demonstrated knowledge of market penetration strategies and market development strategies and techniques.
- Self-starter capable of leading, coordinating, & influencing cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Ability to balance strategic and tactical efforts, delivering short-term commercial results by working closely with sales & service teams, while providing a clear long-term framework for accelerating profitable growth.
- Ability to manage and organize multiple priorities in a poised, self-driven manner.
- MBA desired
- Strong analytical skills (Microsoft Excel, Finance Principles)
- Significant experience in market analysis or business development
- Previous experience in large, complex organizations
- Previous experience in managing water & fluid handling products and solutions
- Previous experience in B2B equipment aftermarket services
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.