The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Automation & Digital Services Field Technician will execute our Digital & Services scope at the project level under our region structure. It will focus on installing, programming, troubleshooting, servicing our controllers / monitoring devices, creating SCADA connections, and working with electronic systems across our Water Utility products and services line card. It will also perform installations and troubleshooting of our cloud-based platforms and our on-premise digital solutions.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:**
- Conduct electrical work and start up services of Water Utility lift stations and other Water Utility solutions in a safe manner.
- Provide hands-on technical support for our control panels by commissioning, configuring, retrofitting, installing, new hardware.
- Read and follow electrical schematics in order to assemble and terminate all inputs/outputs to comply with the technical scope of work.
- Ability to program using industry standard tools for PLC type equipment. Software skills associated with the development and programming of SCADA systems.
- Lead site operators to make sure all the new control philosophy (Automation Logic) is tested and working according with scope of work, but also do fine tuning for operation variables our customer need for their particular application.
- Perform utility operator training for large groups of people both on and off the customers’ site. Utilize multimedia tools and product demonstrations to deliver adequate training to both customers and fellow service staff to enable them to take ownership of their Xylem A&DS products/services. Training might be conducted remotely thru video-conference software platforms.
- Guide the service efforts of all Flygt / Godwin (and other relevant Xylem brands) distributors/representatives/OEM service facilities in the Region in accordance with company policies and procedures. Assist end users with service-related issues.
- Interface with end-users (in some cases with reps and distributors) handling service problems and start-ups either by phone or on-site visit. Assist office personnel with product specifications as required.
- Assure compliance with all established personnel policies and procedures.
- Support the ‘service call center’ process by providing support to our end users.
- Includes education and support related to all communication of Technical and Service bulletins.
- Other duties as assigned: Perform other duties as required.
- Strong technical skills – Telemetry and Software
- Customer service mindset & responsiveness
- Cross-boundary collaboration
- Electrical competency
- Problem-solving skills
- Analysis & synthesis
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Sales support as needed to review A&DS estimates
- Developing your peers & their capability
- Deliver quality cost-effective projects
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
Minimal education & experience, essential skills & abilities and required license/certification to perform this job.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required – equivalent experience combined with Associates degree as an alternative.
- Prefer 2+ years’ experience in industrial controls and automation applications with a working knowledge of electrical control panels, SCADA, VFD’s, PLCs, telemetry, distributed control networks and industry standard communications protocols
- Prefer 2+ years equipment maintenance experience in water and/or wastewater collection or treatment systems
- A basic & working understanding of the National Electrical Code specific to PLC type equipment, Variable speed drives, and motor controls centers amongst others.
- Highly motivated, clear thinking, strong communications skills, and ability to lead and make decisions
- Working knowledge in water/wastewater processes, including pumping and various treatment equipment
- Treatment focus around disinfection (UV, Ozone), aeration, and filtration
- Thorough understanding of systems troubleshooting and the benefits of establishing solid service practices for the operating and fiscal benefit of the company, distribution and the end-user.
- Very strong customer focus and interaction to ensure optimum relationships.
Additional preferences for a specific position.
Must have proactive ES&H focus in and around company and customer worksites; as well as on travel to and from.
Strong leadership, supervisory, prioritization and communication skills (written and verbal) are necessary to help define, develop and enforce initiatives.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, Salesforce, and Xylem’s business systems.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development– To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards– We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks– Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to communicate orally.
- Ability to use hands and fingers dexterously to operate field equipment.
- Must occasionally lift/ transport up to 50 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop, Field or Customer location: May work around pipes, valves, electrical equipment and operating machinery, etc., such as commonly found around manufacturing facilities, construction sites and drinking water/wastewater treatment plants.
Standard weekly job hours: 40+ hours
- As required to fulfill the duties listed above (up to 50% overnight travel). Other travel as needed or required by the company.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $32.00-$37.00/hr. plus bonus. At Xylem, it is not typical for an individual to start at the top end of the range for the role however compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. We offer a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.