The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Application Specialist is responsible for providing technical and product expertise, as well as researching and gathering data in order to understand how to meet the requestor's consulting need or solve the problem.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Works closely with internal colleagues, subject matter experts, and technical and commercial resources to gather relevant data including technical/commercial implications of potential solutions, as well as history related to the customer or request.
- Works closely with the party who requested consultation to gain deeper understanding of request and scope the need. Understands technical questions to ask to ensure proper information is provided in order to meet consulting need.
- Responsible for providing a detailed review of all technical documentation for a project including specifications, plans, drawings, etc. Ensures proposal is feasible, technically viable, and profitable. Calls attention to any risk associated with the technical design of product offering or supporting equipment.
- Discretion/ Latitude: Works under general supervision and guidance. Uses prescribed guidelines or policies to analyze and resolve problems. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction. Work is reviewed for soundness of adherence to processes, providing satisfactory solutions to customers, overall adequacy and accuracy.
- Problem Solving: Performs a range of mainly straightforward assignments while building more in-depth problem solving ability. Uses prescribed guidelines or policies to analyze and resolve problems. Escalates more complex customer problems & applications to more senior Application Engineering staff or supervisor.
- Liaison: Contacts are primarily with Xylem sellers, direct customers, channel partner staff, immediate supervisor, and other Application Engineers/Specialists in the section or group. May participate on special continuous improvement projects.
- Scope: Works closely with the party who requested consultation or post sale support to gain deeper understanding of request and scope the need. Understands technical questions to ask to ensure proper information is provided in order to meet consulting need.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Willingness and ability to provide superior customer support at all times.
- Intermediate knowledge of all required systems and products including creating and interpreting moderately complex engineering drawings, production specifications, and testing protocols using either CAD (computer-aided drafting), CAM (computer-aided manufacturing) or CAE (computer-aided engineering) systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Strong problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills with customers, coworkers and management team
- Strong teamwork and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and the use of computer applications.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering required
- 3-5+ years’ of relevant experience
- Professional Engineering (PE) designation preferred
- Bilingual English / French
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Light lifting of 20-25 pounds.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Intermittent exposure to job site conditions; e.g., gas fields, petrochemical refineries, mills, mines, construction sites, industrial/power plants, waste water treatment plants, etc.; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes.
- General office environment and use of phone and computer equipment.
- Travel as required to fulfill the duties listed above or as required by the Company.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We foster a positive, equitable and progressive workforce and are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process. If you require any accommodation during the application and hiring process, please contact Human Resources, Christy Walsh at Christy.Walsh@xylem.com. Please note that this contact is for accommodation purposes only. Applications will not be accepted via email.