Xylem is hiring an
The Application Engineer intern is responsible for providing technical sales support to both external sources (consulting engineers, contractors and end users) and internal sources (regional/territory managers, project management/ engineering, manufacturing and after-sales service) to obtain sales orders to meet set sales goals.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
• Provide technical support for preparation of bids and proposals.
• Design filtration, clarification, biological treatment ozone or ultraviolet disinfection systems for drinking water and wastewater applications.
• Provide technical specifications for use in municipal bid documents.
• Work with project management/ engineering to develop and maintain cost to complete equipment.
• Develop pricing estimates for both direct purchases and competitive bid applications.
• Interact with reps, regional managers, consultants, contractors, and end users on a daily basis through verbal and written communication.
• Administer equipment procurement bids including submission of applicable bond request, preparation of bid forms, pricing and providing of all requested information.
• Oversee project handovers to project management/ engineering group.
• Respond proactively to all sales calls.
• Maintain sales files and customer information database in Salesforce.com
• Maintain product knowledge through training and seminars.
• Provide other duties as assigned. Other duties as may be assigned as needed including special projects to help improve processes or tools for the sales group or key account management
• Follow and comply with all ESH&S policies.
• Support cross-Treatment training and development opportunities
• Provide and/or receive mentorship for other Treatment and Xylem team members
• Participate in local water-treatment efforts / organizations
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering (or related B.S. degree in engineering/environmental studies)
• Specific hands-on field experience with controls, electrical panels, and/or mechanical equipment is a plus
• Demonstrate proficient problem solving techniques, attention to detail, and the ability to read and interpret complex engineering drawings and specifications in the development of project tenders, designs, cost estimates, and proposals.
• Strong customer service, interpersonal, effective communicator and influential is preferred. Ability to facilitate a presentation and technical aptitude of the product/process.
• Possess ability to complete tasks and resolve difficult technical issues with minimum oversight.
• Ability to prioritize, focus, and complete most critical tasks while handling multiple assignments with shifting priorities.
• Ability to network effectively within organization to get things done
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel and CRM software
• Be a self-starter with high motivation to achieve corporate and personal goals.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Salesforce or other CRM software experience
• Experience working in the field of water and/or wastewater treatment
• Prior sales support experience
• Intellectual curiosity
• Inspiring accountability
• Analysis and synthesis
• Customer and market analysis
• Influence and persuasion
• Market strategy and planning
• Sales enablement
• Continuous Improvement mindset
• Cross-boundary collaboration
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
• Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
• Occasional exposure to shop and field elements (Wastewater and Drinking Water Treatment Plants)
• Must occasionally lift/ transport up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to safely work around pipes, valves, electrical equipment and operating machinery, such as commonly found around construction sites and treatment plants.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
• Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
• Exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants or contractor sites.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.