Accion is hiring an
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a trailblazing legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the 1.8 billion people who are left out of — or poorly served by — the financial sector. For more than 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 200 partners in 63 countries. More at accion.org
About Accion Impact Management
Accion Impact Management (AIM) is a new initiative of Accion that houses Accion´s new sponsored investment vehicles (“Funds”) focused on microfinance, fintech and financial inclusion more broadly. AIM is 100% subsidiary of Accion. AIM will work closely with Accion’s digital advisory services group, Global Advisory Solutions, and Accion’s regional teams to provide strategic and operational support to our portfolio companies, with the goal of developing commercially sustainable businesses that realize social and financial returns.
The summer associate will be an integral part of the team and will be involved in AIM’s investing activities, process management and post-investment support to investee companies. The role will be highly entrepreneurial and analytical, spanning emerging market investing, and management, with a focus on financial inclusion.
The targeted timing for this role is early June to mid-August 2023. This role will be based out of our Washington, D.C. office. Duration: 10 weeks, working approximately 35 hours per week.
• Develop a framework that articulates the macro-factors that impact in-country growth of financial institutions focused on the underserved segment.
• In partnership with our Operations team, leverage COBALT, our financial reporting platform, to analyze the performance prospective and portfolio companies.
• Review all LP side letters and agreements and update LP obligations database and risk management register.
• Work with ESG manager of the fund to create a framework to guide the portfolio companies through ESG obligations and requirements.
• Participate in the investment process with a variety of financial analytics, including the analysis of financial statements, financial projections and valuation of equity and debt transactions
• Contribute to Accion’s impact measurement work through market practice research and data collection and analysis.
• Candidate for MBA or MA in Finance / Economics or related degree program
• Strong Excel skills in connection to financial projections & valuation analysis
• 2+ years of related work experience (preferably in impact investing and/or private equity)
• Proficiency with MS Office
• Demonstrated communication skills, including excellent oral and written English language skills and ability to communicate ideas effectively
• Cultural awareness and ability to interact effectively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and multi-cultural environments
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize various projects and work with little supervision
• Proficiency in Spanish desired, or in another language relevant to Accion's work (French, Portuguese, etc.)
• Interested in our mission and working with global teams
• Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.