Goodwill Industries International is hiring an
TITLE: Accounting Specialist
RESPONSIBLE TO: Accounting Manager
DIVISION/DEPART: Finance & Accounting
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
• Responsible for Accounts Payable (AP) tasks including review and processing of vendor invoices, check requests, employee expense reports, and sub-grantee payments.
• Responsible for Accounts Receivable (AR) tasks including review and processing of daily cash receipts including checks, wires, credit card payments, and creating of invoices
• Maintain customer, vendor and employee files related to invoices and other payments
• Processing of all transactions for GII related entities.
• Reconciliation of subsidiarity accounts within the general ledger (GL).
• Accounting for grant related expenses, and preparations and analysis of required reports.
SPECIFIC DUTIES 1:
A. Process invoices, check requests, and employee expense reports through the AP system and into the GL, and in compliance with GII policies and procedures.
B. Process invoices and cash receipts through the accounting system for review by the Accounting Manager and/or Controller.
C. Prepare bi-monthly aging reports for distribution to Finance and executive leadership.
D. Maintain the customer, vendor, and employee files within the GL system in accordance with company policy, including the document retention policy.
E. Reconcile all Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable subsidiary ledgers to the GL monthly.
F. Reconcile all accounts for GII related entities.
G. Follow-up weekly with customers on outstanding invoices and support the Accounting Manager and Controller in collections efforts on past due invoices over 90 days late.
H. Assist in the collection and recording of accrued expenses monthly.
I. Analysis of expenses related to events, special projects, and other non-grant project budgets to identify unrecorded cost.
J. Assist with grant related journal entries, reconciliations and closing of grant awards.
K. Maintain, prepare, and record monthly prepaid expenses and fixed assets.
L. Maintain fixed asset records sub-ledger and reconcile to the GL.
M. Analyze expenses to ensure proper accounting treatment of prepaid and capital expenses.
N. Assist in the preparation of schedules for the annual audit.
O. Record transactions related to the LLC and other organizational programs including cash receipts, cash disbursements, accruals, and allocation of cost. Prepare all monthly and annual account reconciliation schedules.
P. Set up all wires and ACH payments for all entities through the organization’s on-line treasury management system.
Q. Setup and maintain 1099 vendors in accordance with IRS regulations.
R. Assist in the design, development, implementation, and training on new accounting systems.
S. Recommend, support, and implement accounting process changes that result in increased efficiencies.
T. Respond to vendor and employee requests as related to invoice and expense report review and payments.
U. Work with various parts of the organization in reconciling and recording expenses, accruals, deferred revenue, and reconciling various payable activities.
V. Other duties as requested by the Accounting Manager and Controller.
• Internal: Works closely with the Accounting Manager, Accounting staff, and GII team members.
• External: Occasional contact with Goodwill members.
• GII Members: Contact with all areas of the company related to expenses as needed.
• Outside: Occasional to frequent contact with auditors
1 All duties are considered to be essential, unless otherwise indicated.
• Basic understanding of accounting, preparing journal entries, reconciling general ledger accounts, and membership dues analysis.
• Strong knowledge of MS Office specifically Microsoft Excel.
• Ability to communicate verbally, in writing, and to deal professionally and effectively with Goodwill members and other customers.
• Detail-oriented with the ability to manage specific deadlines.
• General knowledge of accounting principles and practices in a computerized environment with particular attention to AR.
Associate degree in accounting or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Two or more years of prior accounting experience. Experience with accounting software including MS Dynamics SL accounting software preferred.
Time management – handling working hours and overtime so to meet daily, weekly, and monthly deadlines.
Sedentary, lifting 50 lbs. maximum. Walking or standing is required only occasionally. Requires long hours at a computer.
Moderate to high, daily/weekly deadlines, year-end audit work period, occasional overtime, occasionally hectic, occasional periods of high stress.